The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink New to Link- SD or MAF to learn

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priority DSM

Proven Member
Dec 16, 2014
Marysville, California
Still getting all my ducks in a row.

Got my car all smog ready, no CELs, waiting a few more days for the smog test due to "battery unhooked in the last 2 weeks" will cause a fail state (readiness monitor checks and whatnots)

The question-

After smog I will be putting in ECMlink. Would it be more conducive to a new ECMlink user to learn to tune and setup his/her car using the stock MaF and corresponding tables, or if SD is in the plans for the future, just start with SD and learn to tune with the tables that correspond to the SD setup?

I am used to stochiometric AFR's and have an understanding of lean/rich conditions. Are volumetric tables SD uses similar?

Are there pros and cons of tuning one metering system over the other?

I would like to learn ECMlink and tune my car with the least amount of downtime.

Thanks for your input.

I would start with the maf just because that's what you have right now. In the meantime you can read up on SD and prepare for the switch.

Can't comment on SD because I haven't ran it yet, but for maf tuning its pretty idiot proof. If you mess anything up you can just default back to the factory values and maps, so it's good to learn on.

The most difficult part is making sure everything is mechanically sound, no boost leaks, consistent fuel and spark etc.

You definitely want to use the MAF you have first. 1. It simpler to learn. 2. Once it is set up and working well, you can use the MAF to calibrate your VE table for SD.

Read

some people use the maf then switch to the sd setup I just skipped that and went straight to the sd setup gonna get a base tune then have her thrown on the dyno here and have it fine tuned.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back