The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

New to dsm, looking for cheap quick power.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapp7290

Probationary Member
Oct 16, 2010
coventry, Rhode_Island
In the process of buying my friends 95gsx, light bolt on mods on it(intake, exhaust, greddy bov, aftermarket rims) looking to get a little more power out of it for semi cheap until i can afford to really dig money into it. Any sudgestions?

Like somone posted earlier about running 10's with a 14b...heres what I have to say....DIET !!! 12.7 says it all with al fuel mods full exhuast stock BC

Hopefully you're joking...

For a 1G most never reach the limits of the 14b because they haven't the skill to tune it or properly build their cars.

For a 2G I'd just go with a 16g for the simple fact that you gotta upgrade it anyways.

I'd put my 14b up against most of the guys 20gs on here all day long for the simple fact that the tune is more important than anything. Its been a while since I have seen an impressive 20g. At the end you are comparing a turbo you had stock to something you had to buy. Hell I could say I'd take an HX35 over your 2G but whats the point?

I would throw the 16g against most people too, for the simple fact that more guys run 10's on the 16g, as opposed to the 14b.

the 20g is overrated. i blew one up, and when i say blew it up, the exhaust wheel shot out my exhaust, and the exhaust housing had a nice little hole, the size of a quarter. LOL

I would throw the 16g against most people too, for the simple fact that more guys run 10's on the 16g, as opposed to the 14b.

the 20g is overrated. i blew one up, and when i say blew it up, the exhaust wheel shot out my exhaust, and the exhaust housing had a nice little hole, the size of a quarter. LOL

I don't think that the 20g is overrated. I just think that most people throw a 20g on (just because it is rated for 450 horsepower) before they have all the supporting mods, fuel mods, and tuning know how to take it to it's full potential. The way see it, a lot of dsmer's get a 3" exhaust and a 255 pump and then want a 20g for 450 hp. The turbo will be the last thing that I replace but when I do I am planning to running the Buschur Racing TD05/6 hybrid 20G.

A lot of people are right on here about maintenance. Sometimes i take it for granted just because the way I am. Sometime i think everyone on a car site/forum is similar in showing love to there cars...aka maintenance. And thats not the truth. I think we beet the importance of maintenance. One thing you can do is the home Depo boost leak tester and find all of them yourself.

I'm sure the biggest boost leak you have is from the T/B shaft seals. I know 4 people with 2g's and they all had there seals leak bad, mind included. I'm a bit off topic here but all boost leaks are bad. Because the car is AWD change the trans fluid, xfer case and rear end with redline fluids. Inspect the bushings/tie rods/ball joints for wear. Push up on the drive line and see if the carrier bearing moves...etc.

after you did the stage 0...i would look into a nice down pipe/cat removal. (im guessing your car has just a cat back) Walbro 190 so you don't have to do the AFPR... and seriously look into a used 14b. There a great turbo and you can get them cheap. A cheap Intercooler from punishment racing, or Dejon racing. They both have front mounts for as cheap as 300 bucks for the 2g right now. And a SAFC. If you can afford it i would look into DSM link instead of the AFC . But thats just me. And like everyone said a nice MBC. and your good to go for awhile. :thumb:

The only person still talking to me about my car on here LOL, thanks. I think i get the basic direction i need to go in now.

I don't think that the 20g is overrated. I just think that most people throw a 20g on (just because it is rated for 450 horsepower) before they have all the supporting mods, fuel mods, and tuning know how to take it to it's full potential. The way see it, a lot of dsmer's get a 3" exhaust and a 255 pump and then want a 20g for 450 hp. The turbo will be the last thing that I replace but when I do I am planning to running the Buschur Racing TD05/6 hybrid 20G.

+1 The 20g is a OG turbo, but newbies will hate. ROFL

So i was looking on ebay and there are large amounts of like big 16g turbos for sale for 230 bucks...are these cheap immitations?

So i was looking on ebay and there are large amounts of like big 16g turbos for sale for 230 bucks...are these cheap immitations?

Very cheap chinese copies. Stick with genuine MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) for a 16g.

Ebay can be useful if you want to save money but not when it comes to precision parts. I personally would only use ebay for simple items without moving parts like exhaust pipes and radiators.

Very cheap chinese copies. Stick with genuine MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) for a 16g.

Ebay can be useful if you want to save money but not when it comes to precision parts. I personally would only use ebay for simple items without moving parts like exhaust pipes and radiators.

That's what i thought, and i certainly don't wanna throw on a turbo that's going to blow after a month or 2.

This girl needs to hurry up and sell me her car already, i'm getting impatient LOL.

That's what i thought, and i certainly don't wanna throw on a turbo that's going to blow after a month or 2.

This girl needs to hurry up and sell me her car already, i'm getting impatient LOL.

Like I just mentioned, the turbo should be the last thing you upgrade. Throwing on a 16g before you get all the supporting mods done will not help you much at all. Follow the upgrade path, it is proven to work.

I wasn't sudgesting i wanted to put garbage things on the car persay, just that i'm not in the range of turbo swapping yet.

Sounds like you had it right back on post #7

Ohh i know i wasn't looking because i was about to buy it, just glancing is all.

First, I'd get a datalogging setup before turning up the boost. Turning up the boost until you hit fuel cut is not a good idea. Look at your datalogger to see how much knock you are getting and what your injector duty cycle is when turning up the boost. Get your maintenace done, then a boost gauge, then intake, then get a datalogger and learn how to use it. After all that, get a manual boost controller. Every car reacts differently to boost so just turning it up to 15psi might be good for one car, and cause detonation on the next. Then I'd say upgrade to a 14b and get an exhaust.

First, I'd get a datalogging setup before turning up the boost. Turning up the boost until you hit fuel cut is not a good idea. Look at your datalogger to see how much knock you are getting and what your injector duty cycle is when turning up the boost. Get your maintenace done, then a boost gauge, then intake, then get a datalogger and learn how to use it. After all that, get a manual boost controller. Every car reacts differently to boost so just turning it up to 15psi might be good for one car, and cause detonation on the next. Then I'd say upgrade to a 14b and get an exhaust.

I'm currently working on the car with her doing maintenance, gonna be doing boost leak tests soon. But i already have the boost gague( though i want a better one) and the intake, and a cat back exhaust just need to delete the cat. Her car seems to jump up to 14psi but then settle at 11 right now.

I'm currently working on the car with her doing maintenance, gonna be doing boost leak tests soon. But i already have the boost gague( though i want a better one) and the intake, and a cat back exhaust just need to delete the cat. Her car seems to jump up to 14psi but then settle at 11 right now.

That is common for the T-25. Be careful fixing up the car before she actually sells it to you, she might start liking it and change her mind.

That is common for the T-25. Be careful fixing up the car before she actually sells it to you, she might start liking it and change her mind.

Well she's actually doing the work mostly i'm jsut an extra set of hands, also she is a close personal friend, and is only getting rid of the car because it's an automatic and she found a manual she would preffer to have.

Defintely take care of the matinence and boost leaks first. Get a good boost gauge and possibly a mbc.

Does anyone know of a thread on this site or anything that explains how to do boost leak tests? I'm a little clueless on this and though she claims to know what she's doing, i don't very much trust her judgement.

Does anyone know of a thread on this site or anything that explains how to do boost leak tests? I'm a little clueless on this and though she claims to know what she's doing, i don't very much trust her judgement.

Link for making a BLT - IC Pipe Tester

This is another one that I saved a while back that Defiant posted. A lot nicer but might be harder to get the parts and more expensive. - Stealth 316 - Intake pressure tester

This is the best one I could find but I know there are some other threads on how to just cant seem to find them. Search around or maybe someone else will post another. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...st-how-boostpro-net-tester.html#post151299069

If my system isn't holding the pressure good and just looses pressure quick or You hear leaks all over the place... What I do is just start at different points. I connect to TB, then move my way down to the turbo piece by piece making sure everything is good. Takes a little more time but works wonders.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back