The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

New To DSM, looking for advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LYTEMUP

Probationary Member
Dec 1, 2005
Frontenac, Kansas
I have just recently purchased a 95 Talon NA 5-speed, bone stock.
I basically got the car for the practical reasons, but I have built muscle cars for half my life (over 16 years). I have a couple problems with the car and am just wanting a little advise.
Also I am also NOT planning on taking a ShortCut at the track with any kind of forced induction or "Giggle Gas". Looking to put about 250-275 HP at the front wheels and that is good enough for me.
Money IS tight and have found that most Tuner parts are more expensive then Mustang parts.

A couple problems I am having are...
When I push in the clutch and come to a stop the car wants to rev up to around 3,000 RPM then idle back down. Wether cold or hot (air temp, or engine temp). The cat is gone but that is about it.
My car only has 114,000 miles so there is not much wrong yet...
The other question is about timing. How do you actually time one of these things...2.0 Chrysler motor.
My future plans consist of a stroker kit, and your common bolt on performance.
(Exhaust, Intake, Clutch, stuff like that)
One last thing, the Eclipse 2.0 and the Talon 2.0 cannot interchange parts, will the aftermarket bolt-ons interchange? Cold-Air kit, timing gears, TB, intakes stuff like that?
Thanks for the help.

95-99 NA eclipse and NA talon parts are interchangable with the exception of some body parts....

LYTEMUP said:
The other question is about timing. How do you actually time one of these things...2.0 Chrysler motor.

Here's a link to help you out with that: http://vfaq.com/mods/wayback/BradBauer/engine/timing.html

in fact, http://www.vfaq.com will have lots of info for you as you start your modifications and troubleshooting.

One last thing, the Eclipse 2.0 and the Talon 2.0 cannot interchange parts, will the aftermarket bolt-ons interchange? Cold-Air kit, timing gears, TB, intakes stuff like that?

Stock parts are completely interchangeable, as are aftermarket bolt-ons. Except for the badging and exterior, your car is exactly the same as an Eclipse.
:thumb:

i had a 95 Eclipse GS. Whenever i came to a stop and put the clutch in the tach usually went up to 2500-3000 and then would just go back down to 1000 after. never had any problems with that. i had 92000 miles on it before i sold it :thumb:

I just found it as odd when it would go up THAT high. I have had a few imports in the past, mostly Honda, and this was the first 4 cylinder car that I have ever owned to rev that high. Eventhough I know this car is not am import but on the same concept.
With the cat gone, is there a MIL eliminator to trick the computer and make it think the cat is there? So the check engine light goes out.

With the Idle issue, is there a way to make a 4 cylinder's throttle snap like a V-8? I mean when you are at a complete stop, you can hit the pedal and make the RPM's rev and drop quick instead of steadily drop back to 1,000 or so. Or am I trying to make this car too much like a V-8 car?
It is still idling up around 3000 when I slow down, it happens EVERY time I hit the gas then begin to slow down to turn or just stop. That does not seem natural, for any car.

420a tuning guide. All N/A Eclipse and Talon comes with 420a so all engine parts are interchangeable, perhaps you're mixing 420a 2.0 with 4g63T 2.0 which comes in the turbo models. As for your idle issue, sounds like your ISC (idle speed controller) isn't functioning properly. Good luck.

Replaced it...nothing, still there. It is funny that it will idle normal when it is cold, then when it starts to warm up it will start to idle rough, then smooth again. If I take off and the car has only warmed up for a couple minutes, I can stop at the sign, it will idle normal, then at the next stop sign it will idle high...then when I am driving it will seem like the cruise is on, I can take my foot off the gas and it will still go the same speed, then after a few seconds it will start slowing down.

I posted my problem in the diagnostic section. So solving my problem can be discussed in the correct forum.
I would post it forsale but I cannot access the classifieds.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back