The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

New Motor Wont Start!!! Help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webshell

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2004
SPringdlae, Maryland
Ok long story short I got a new motor. Mechanic put it in and fired it up, viola its working at idle. he revs it a lil and it cuts off. Now it wont start at all. PLEASE HELP ME I dumped close to 5k into this car to get it back running, Please lemme know your thoughts on this. They think it isnt getting fuel but we ran it at idle for 5-10min and it was fine. PLEASE HELP!!!!

There are three things that make a motor run, spark, fuel, and compression....

i'd do a compression test...
and does it still turn over, just not start? Does it sputter at all? give some more details as to what happened and what its doing.

An engine needs fuel/compression/spark to run. If you dont think its getting enough fuel, check the fuel pressure and start troubleshooting according to your findings. You really didnt give enough info to really help you.

EDIT Damn it you beat me to it.

Shouldn't the mechanic fix it? But ya, like they said, just start with what you know and check everything.

Sounds stupid but be sure the tank has fuel. Remove the pressure regulator on the drivers side of the fuel rail and gat a can or bottle and crank the motor and "catch" the fuel if the rail is getting any. compression test speaks for itself. Check to see that the coil packs have the wires attached well if the first two tests do not find anything. You can pull a plug wire and insert a metal rod that extends out of the boot and lay it close to something metalic to see if it is getting spark. These are all simple tests your machanic should be aware of. When you get it idling again set the base timing before anything else. Mark

hey guys this is really starting to hurt, still not fixed he got new coil packs but the 1st and 2nd wires are still not getting power. Could this be a sensor???

webshell said:
hey guys this is really starting to hurt, still not fixed he got new coil packs but the 1st and 2nd wires are still not getting power. Could this be a sensor???

hopefully this help, i have the same problem, check electrical connection followed chiltons manual on reading the crank angle sensor and cam angle sensor i think if you dont have about 9v on right and left pin (cable side) your ECU might be bad if you do have 9volts then change your sensor. When i check mine i did not have a fuel or spark and im only reading about 4v with a brand new battery installed. anyways i spend 1week troubleshooting this problem a lot of people told me to change my cam angle sensor and crankshaft sensor and i told them that im not getting a good reading so i dont want to waste my money but everything lead to the ECU so i found one at e-bay got it totay and it fix my problem.....

Hey guys I got the car running it was the CAS, but its idling hard and vibrating from start to about 3k rpm. I think its the Oil Sproket thing on the BS. when they replace the CAS they didnt align the Oil sprocket thingy. We will see today. :thumb:

Those Damn CAS'!!! Was having a simular problem and ended up being the same problem. Glad to hear you got it running....now good luck on getting it running smooth :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back