The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

motor wont start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90dsmlvr

Probationary Member
Jul 8, 2008
Port Charlotte, Florida
i bought a new head for my 90 eclipse cause the timing belt broke and i bent the valves, and after i put everything back together it wont start. It will once in a while but wont stay at an idle. Before the belt broke and the car was running i put sea foam in it but never got to fully run the car to clean it all out so i dont know if that can be a reason or not?? Ive replaced the spark plugs and changed the oil twice so far. I just dont know what to do next...

Thanks

David

yea it turns over it will start up sometimes but then dies. I can smell the fuel but im starting to think that after i put the sea foam in and never ran the car to clean it out that it might have messed up the fuel filter.

I have never sea foamed a car but I have read that it fouls up your spark plugs, but you've changed them, so I don't think it's your spark plugs. You could be correct if you didn't let your car burn off after you sea foamed it.

yea it turns over it will start up sometimes but then dies. I can smell the fuel but im starting to think that after i put the sea foam in and never ran the car to clean it out that it might have messed up the fuel filter.

why would seafoam get in your gas?.... your supposed to use a drop bag and let the vacuum of the engine pull it into the intake tract (think hospital IV bag)

does it seem to turn off more after it gets to normal temps? if so, either you didnt torque the head studs enough and the motor is losing compression.

you can put sea foam into a lot of places but i put it in my intake and my gas tank, and i read the manual and it said to torque my head bolts between 65-72 so i put them at 69 so they should be good. And if it does start it bogs a bit then will turn off, so thats why im thinking its gotta be something with the fuel, but im just trying to make sure before i go ahead and do anything.

Some people also put it in the oil fill cap. When it does start try giving it a little bit of gas and see if it still dies.

i did that and it still dies.
plus i forgot to add that i had oil on top of my cylinders, so im also thinking that it wont start because when my valves bent that it might have messed up the rings in some sort, but i think im gonna just buy a short block and rebuild it up

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back