The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

New engine...ticking in bottom end.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colossus

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2003
Crestview, Florida
For starters, yes, it's the bottom end. It's not lifter tick.

There's a ticking noise that comes into play at about 2000rpms, not really really fast, but fast enough to not be able to tell WTF it is. The motor has...eh..10 miles on it. The noise is gone at idle, but only at that RPM or so. There's also a 2nd, or more distinct sound of the first tick, whenever the motor warms up and has 0 vacuum 0 boost.

Me, nore the garage I deal with, has any idea WTF this is. They're very knowledgeful, but are requestion to take off my oil pan and have a look, and possibly remove/breakdown the motor if the problem isnt found. They're thinking it could be a possible rod/crank bearing, but why would it be ticking?

I assumed it was just my shorter balance shaft on the oil pump side rattling back and forth inside of its housing since it no longer has a shaft. The oil pressure remains constant. Otherwise, I don't know what this noise is. They honestly don't think the motor will last long with whatever this noise is rattling. It seems to be coming from one point, and doesn't move, so it's not lose debris.

Any idea's?!?!

possible rod knock or soemthing. you sure its a tick.

check for lose bolts anywhere, that may be it also

Is it a new or rebuilt engine, or was it a junkyard block? Because I had a 6 bolt from a junked out laser thrown in my car and it was ticking bottom end ever since I started it up. Turned out to be a spun bearing. Probably wouldnt hut a bit to drop your oil pan and take a look.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back