The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Need rear wheel bearing AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGdsmNewb

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 19, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
Alright so i got my car inspected today as i switched insurance companies and this was required... mechanic says that i need a new rear wheel bearing.... It's strange though because my previous mechanic said that i needed ball joints but this mechanic says that it's just the bearing. The price he found for the wheel bearing for my awd was 260 bucks or something ridiculous like that ... im wondering if this eBay Motors: REAR WHEEL HUB BEARING EAGLE 95-98 TALON (AWD) (item 380027161604 end time Oct-09-08 12:56:17 PDT)
would suffice or if there is a better place i could get one of these for cheap

How hard is the bearing to replace yourself?

thanks in advance

Pretty sure the Hub and bearing comes as one piece. So you just bolt it on.
At least it is for the fronts.. cant remember for the rear, but from the picture in the ad it looks that way.

Though, depending on if your axles are seized in there or not, you may want to let the shop handle it...... They usually get stuck in there REALLY good. I bought a whole new shell so I dont have to deal with it :p

Depending on how rusty your car is it can be a serious pain in the ass. I bought the whole hub assembly from Rock Auto, which luckily was their last inventory they wanted to get rid of, so I got it at half price. I just bought both rears, since I couldn't beat that price. Suffice it to say, I ended up getting two new axles as well, because they were rust-welded into the hubs.

Your best bet is just buying the whole hub assembly. If there isn't a lot of rust, it's not that hard at all. If you do have rust, I'd never, ever, ever attempt it again. I would definitely pay someone else to do it.

Edit: Didn't even see the link. That's the whole assembly. I first bought them from that seller on Ebay, but they sent FWD rear hub assemblies. When I emailed the seller, he said he didn't have any AWD hub assemblies, but did however refund the money.

Ok yeah im just going to get the shop to do it because my suspension is rust city being that i live in canada and such... also when i did my exhaust i couldnt get alot of the bolts off and had to take it to a shop to get them to blow torch them so i could install it LOL

What are the chances of my wheel falling off with the bearing in its current state? I wont have money to fix this for like another 2 weeks or so LOL

^^ thanks for the above post btw, i may try this myself

Ok yeah im just going to get the shop to do it because my suspension is rust city being that i live in canada and such... also when i did my exhaust i couldnt get alot of the bolts off and had to take it to a shop to get them to blow torch them so i could install it LOL
Loosen the axle nut, and try to tap the axle out. If it moves easy then might as well try your self.
If after a few taps and still does not move then take it to a shop.
:thumb:

From the picture it looks like a 3 bolt hub? I thought 2G's were 4 bolt?

Also, look again on ebay, there are a lot on there for half that price.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back