The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need Info for this Head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayB12

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2009
Philipsburg, Pennsylvania
Picked up a head from a 95 or 96 gsx It looks like they had some work done to the head and then the car didn't start, (had new cps/cas headgasket and other electronics.) So they junked it. I have a few questions. I don't think these are stock valves because they don't say 6t, does anyone know what brand they are? Also it has this stamp thing on it, does anyone recognize it?

Attachments

• IMAG0285.jpg
    IMAG0285.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0287.jpg
    IMAG0287.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 59
Not sure about them intake valves, but that's a reman tag if I'm not mistaken. Edit: Does this head have the small or big intake ports? I pulled a head from a Hyundai at the salvage yard once that had a tag just like that.

I have nothing to ad but I have a 97-99 with big intake ports. Are those rare?

Ah I just wanted to see of it was a hyundai head. The Hyundai heads had both large and small ports. Small port Hyundai heads has the 95-96 style cam sensor. I can't remember if the larger port heads did too. I never heard of a large port 2g head either.

My head has the same exact stamp. I bought the head and block rebuilt from Overbore. Pretty sure most companies or shops add them.

I haven't either. ll look at the #s on the head or take pics and post back

The intake valve are not stock, that you are correct about.
Now if they are good for turbo use, I can not say untill you pull a valve and check for a part number on the stem.

Now you can see if a magnet sticks to the head of the valve
If it sticks.... NOT a stainless steel valve, could be a cheap replaement valve

If the magnet does not stick, then it should be stainless steel, but still needs looked into.

I doubt theu are stainless tho, the sharp edge in the valve leads me to this.
Most all decent made stanless valves will have a smooth dish built into them.

Now that little part that is stuck on the head is called a heat tab, the center will melt out at appox 260* letting the company know the head was over heated, and voids any warrenty you may have.

They are commly applied by Machine Shops, Junk yard, engine rebuilder. head rebuilders.

Cool! I tried the magnet trick and they stuck to the intake valves, so they are not SS valves, but they would only stick to the edges of the exhaust valves. :confused:

I assumed none of these were stock valves.

I'm still looking for a valve spring compressor to remove them though, sadly.

One other thing, if these are not good valves would I need new seats if i bought a set of engnbldr ss valves?

If you get a full set of valves, I would recommend that you have the seats cut.

Also at this point I would have the guides checked and replaced as needed....

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/341218-how-change-valve-guides-4g63t-head.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/420045-how-have-4g63-head-rebuilt.html

If you are going to keep boot level at 20ish, Iron replacement guides will give you a decent life.

If over 25 I would suggest going to a bronze guide, due to the extra heat that the valve will absorb and pass to the guide.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/438429-4g63-head-build-modified.html

Sealed power is a large corp, they bought out TRW about 15 years ago, I think they own Ancco wiper blades, BWD componats .... But the mother company is Federal Mogal IIRC.

The valves are pricy, and I do not know if they are a 2 poece design. So run them at your own risk.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back