The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need ideas.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bens95TalonTSi

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
I have a 2G TSi and I replaced the T25 with a T28. I read how to up the boost on RRE's web site. I was also told that there was a bead inside one of the lines under the intake, and to take it out. When I did this, I noticed some thing. When I get on the throttle some times the car tends to jerk in mid RPMs. It's like the power dies and come back real quick. Some one told me it might be boost cut and another told me to replace the plugs and wires. Any ideas?

what psi are you running? when this happens, does black smoke come out the tail pipe? what rpm range does this occur at? do you have any supporting mods (fuel system stuff, etc)?

sounds like fuel cut to me.

It usualy only happens in 2nd gear around 3K or 4K RPMs. I have not seen any somke. The car is pretty much stock. It has a cone filter and the T28. I don't have an aftermarket boost gauge so I have now way to tell how much boost I'm running.

whoa, you need to immediately take another car and go to autozone to get a boost gauge. get an autometer ultra-lite or whatever its called. they are cheap, and you dont even need to mount it in your car somewhere. you definately need to know what boost you are running!

I don't think I need to take another car. All's I have to do is add that bead back into the line that comes off the waste gate and it's back to normal. I'll get a boost gauge like you said. I'm also trying to figure out what the problem is.

its hard to diagnose without knowing what psi you are running. like i said, it sounds like fuel cut, but it might be something else.

I spoke with a friend of mine who told me about the beed in the line comming off the waste gate. He said that when he removed the beed he was running close to 20psi. I'm going to put that beed back in so I don't have any more problems. I'm sure once I upgrade the fuel system, bov, and intercooler pipes it won't be too much of an issue.

I would definetly change your plugs and wires, I had the same problem, same RPM range same symptoms, and that was at about 15psi. Feels different than fuel cut. What kind of plugs are your running? if they are platinums throw 'em out and get the NGK's. As soon as i did that the car ran like a champ. And if your gonna up the boost open up your exhaust too or your gonna be limiting the potential of that T-28.

The only thing I have done to the exhaust is remove the 2 ressinators. I have NGK's in the car but I don't know when they were last changed. I just got the car 5 weeks ago. Any idea on gapping? I know with my Honda that I got better response with mods when I changed the gap size.

and your point? I really don't care the order that people think I should go in. The T25 in the car was in poor shape. I decided to upgrade and not just replace. My only regret is not getting the 20g.

Originally posted by Bens95TalonTSi
and your point? I really don't care the order that people think I should go in. The T25 in the car was in poor shape. I decided to upgrade and not just replace. My only regret is not getting the 20g.

I wouldn't quite get an attitude... People are trying to help you and look out for the well being of your car.. You said the T25 was in poor shape.. Your pistons are going to be in even worse shape if you don't know what kind of boost you are running...

I'm not getting the problem when it goes from full throttle in 1st to full throttle in 2nd. It only happens if I shift at low rpm's in 1st (3K-4K) and then I hit full throttle as soon as I hit 2nd. Even then, it only happens some times. My friend hooked up his boost gauge to my car and it's reading 14psi at peak boost. I'm going to replace the plugs becuse I don't know when the previous owner last changed them. I might as well change the plug wires too. If it still does it, I guess I have to drop the boost untill I get the fuel system upgraded.

there is a reason why people put on a boost gauge before doing any sort of work to their car... its because they want to know how much boost they are running, before, after, and during mods. boost is like alcohol to your motor. the more you give it, the more fun it is to be with, but if you give it too much then it will die. if you want your motor to be able to handle more boost (alcohol) you gotta make sure it has enough supporting mods (healthy livers), such as fuel system (good diet), blow off valve (urination), boost controller (the concerned friend), and other stuff.

also, can i recommend a full exhaust and either an AFC or a maf translator for your car? they would do wonders.

Thanks for the ideas. It ended up being the plugs. They were the most fouled plugs I've seen. They were also cheap Champion plugs. I don't remember the exact NGK's I put in but I do remember they had a 7 in the part number.

Thanks for the ideas. It ended up being the plugs. They were the most fouled plugs I've seen. They were also cheap Champion plugs. I don't remember the exact NGK's I put in but I do remember they had a 7 in the part number.

yo dude, i just changed my plugs and it fixed my rough idle and throttle response problems to. i think everyone needs to go change their plugs right now!

and your point? I really don't care the order that people think I should go in.
Neither do we, really. Unfortunately, the pistons, rods, crank, transmission and clutch _do_ tend to care.
The T25 in the car was in poor shape.
Which is likely to indictate the rest of the motor's tired as well.
I decided to upgrade and not just replace.
Well, they're your dollars and your time.
My only regret is not getting the 20g.
Knock yourself out. Seeya in the "My Motor Grenaded, WTF?" forum.

Good luck 'till then. :thumb:

quote:
Which is likely to indictate the rest of the motor's tired as well.

Well, the motor is in great shape. The compression is good and there are no leaks. The car put down almost stock hp numbers with the T25. It now puts down 206whp@10psi with the T28. It's still running rich and that's a good thing. Thanks for the nice response, I know who not to ask when I have a question. Thanks to those who actualy had some ideas for me. The car is running like a champ now that it has new plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back