The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

need axle help quick

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danks

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 23, 2003
The Beach, New_Jersey
im changin my front axles.... left one is done right one i took out and the boot ripped off the top piece... its stuck in the tranny and i cant get it out... it has about a 1/8th inch of play then it like clunks or whatever on whatever is holding it in there

how the hell do i get it out????

It's just a ring around the end in the tranny that is holding it in. You've gotta get a big screwdriver or pry bar and just pry it out using the tranny as your lever axis. It'll come out. It won't hurt anything to do so either, so don't worry. It's not actually "connected" to anything in there. You'll see the ring I'm talking about when you pull it out. It's just just like a ring on a piston. It's gapped and puts pressure outwards, slightly larger than the splined part of the axle. It holds the axle in. but when you pry the axle out, it will be forced to compress down (using the gap in it) and slide out of the tranny.

Hope that helped...

short version: just pry the axle out with a pry bar... and be sure to replace that seal while you're doing the axle.

-jeff

im just puting in a new axle and throwing the old one out,.... pry from underneath is what your saying right??? ### i been trying that with no luck this ####in sucks i have parties to go to

Pry like a man....get a nice long flat head...I mean havy duty. and pry....hope your replacement fits! goodlcuk.

Yeah, pry from below.

He stole my reply....

Use your "man-hand." ROFL

I know what you're saying though, sometimes it seems it wont come out. I thought I was gonna break something, and the car was moving over me... yeah, I'd actually recommend a real pry-bar if you've been trying hard already. You may snap a screwdriver.

Or try tapping on the prybar a bit when it feels like that ring is up against the inside of the tranny. It'll come out. Have faith and patience. that's what it's all about. And why are you changing the axles? And why not selling the old ones as cores... you could get 35bucks-ish a peice at almost anywhere

my main problem im having with prying is actually grabbing on to something i cant seem to get the pry stuck on something if you know what im saying

I hear ya. Isn't one part of it flat around the circumference? (like a D shape from the end) Or am I just making that up?

I think I acutally ended up using a ball-joint fork because the angle made it easier to get in where I could pry on something. get up under whatever you're using and use your body to push up, maintaining something for it to grip onto and pry at the same time. I don't know what else to do. That's half the fun of working on cars. You're going to feel so accomplished when you get it done. Just don't let the bastard win!!! :thumb:

pnishr , from the sounds of it the boot moght have allready ben split and slinging grease everywhere.

I had the same thing happen a while back.
If the axle ij junk to you and just stuck in there , like mine was....
I Placed a end of a 4way against the axle and struck the 4way with a deadblow hammer , just as I felt the retaining ring holding the stub end in the tranny.
Over a year ago , trans shows no ill effects from it , good luck!

I hear ya. Isn't one part of it flat around the circumference? (like a D shape from the end):

Thats the part the end of the 4way sat , well enough to pop it free.
Dont take a full force swing though , it will not require it to come free.

However , I like the ball joint fork better , probably much more safe

Edit-forgot to finish my thought-

hey i wanna thank everyone for all there help/input and responses..... everything is back together .... prying didnt work i had given that up and was layin there with a blank mind then had an idea all i did was bang a screwdriver between the axle and tranny (it held in there buy itself) then took plyers and twisted the screwdriver and let me tell you it was so easy i thought that the screwdriver had just slipped off the thing and went back to hammer it in and there was a big gap i was like NOOO!! then just grabbed it and pulled it off.... hope oneday someone can look this up and help them

again thank you everyone i truelly apreciate your guys trying to help

thanks

im having trouble getting my axle off my driver side spindle assembly. do you just pry it off or do i have to take the big bolt off the spindle please help iv never done this before

Not sure what you're talking about...

Is the nut off of the end of the axle?

Does it look like the splines are rusted into the hub?

And I'm not sure about the 1g fwd, but it probably has a carrier bolted up to the back of the block like on mine...

But you said you can't get it out of the spindle (really... out of the hub, the hub is pressed and bolted to the spindle)

if it's rusted, you could try heat, PB Blaster, and a 3-jaw puller, so long as the nut was off the end of the axle... you said you've never done it, so I'm trying to think simple, so hope you don't think I'm insulting your intelligence here. Be more specific about the problem.

Jeff

sounds like u need some pb blaster and a hammer dont bang the threads tho back the nut off to where u wont hit the axle and hit that

Still not sure which "bolt" you're talking about, but the answer in any case is almost certainly "yes"

Remove the nut on the end of the axle on the outer-side of the hub. AND unbolt (2 bolts) the carrier that is on the back of the block (underneath the AC Compressor bracket) So long as you're not having to unbolt (4 bolts) the hub from the spindle, everything should be unbolted, except the upper control are (upper A arm) that way you'll have more freedom of movement to pull the axle from the hub.

Not sure if this helps, but hope so...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back