The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Need a 1st synchro again!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Originally posted by Defiant
? ? ? No, DSMs do not have a synchronized reverse. VERY few things ever built do.

yes reverse has a synchro. Iv seen it!! :thumb:

I think that you may have mistaken yourself because I have a complete layout of our tranny's in front of me, that and I replaced my reverse gear a few months ago and there was no blocker ring. Think about it in a technical sense, a blocker ring is like a little clutch for your gears it's only purpose is to bring the gear you are shifting into up to the same speed as the gear you are shifting from for smoother shifts, it isn't even totally neccesary just more driver friendly. So really putting a synchro in reverse wouldn't change anything. Just tellin ya what I know from experience.

ok i am sure you guys know more about these trannys than me. There is a synchro on the end of the input shaft by 5th gear that stops the input shaft from spinning when you start to engage reverse. It isnt right next to the reverse idler gear but it is there. Have you ever opened your trans? If you have it is the first piece to fall out when you take off the end cover.

That's the reverse "brake". It's not the same as a synchronizer, it only slows the rotating gearset so the straight-cut reverse idler can engage (hopefully) without the usual "clangk". A synchro assembly doesn't have to stop any gearset, it helps "synchronize" the speed between gearsets. They always work fine (when in spec, and the blockers haven't been cleaned in solvent and ruined) until the third time they're rushed. By nature, they have to be softer than the selector they're braking, and wear quickly.
Better than the reverse brake, get in the habit of kissing fifth -not engaging it- before pulling back into reverse. In a worn gearbox, you'll have occasional blockage where the idler gear has come up straight-aligned with the gearset, to get past it you need to _barely_ let up on the clutch so that the idler juxtaposition will get nudged and the teeth can engage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back