The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Rebuilding trans: 1st/2nd synchro mix-up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMopar

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2007
Vista, California
Ok i'm rebuilding my trans here and I mixed up the original 1st/2nd synchro's and now don't know which of the new ones are which. Both original synchro's had 3 sets of synchro teeth spread apart, with one being organic and other brass. Also the synchro key slots are wider on one over the other.

The new synchro's are slightly different however, one has a full set of teeth and the other the triple set like the originals. Again they have different synchro key slot widths... So could you guys tell me which one is which? Here's some pics to help illustrate my dilemma

Attachments

• IMG_6654.jpg
    IMG_6654.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_6656.jpg
    IMG_6656.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_6657.jpg
    IMG_6657.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 427
Come on guys i'm putting this together today:nono:

Rebuild kit from my trans guy, don't know the brand but most of the bearings are Koyo with some NSK. All the rings are brass, Shep didn't really know why they were different. He suggested using the full tooth count on second so that's where I put it... for now. I might be changing the synchro slider so I might be able to swap the synchros again if there's a reason...

The reason I asked is because they could be generic rings from China. The rings are cheap enough that I would just go to the dealer, give them your vin# and have them match you up with the correct ones. It's not worth the risk IMO of having a trans that may shift like garbage over $30 and have to do it all over again.

Jack

The kit seems to all be good quality, i'm just gonna use-em. Keep in mind the stock rings I took out of the trans were similar as far as the key slot difference, only they both had triple sets of teeth rather than a full set.

On a side note, do you have these shims in stock?

Input: MD700270
Intermediate: MD720959
Front Diff: MD710454
Front Output Shaft: MD724331
Center Diff: MD718525

and do you have a 5th/reverse syncrho hub for the later style trans with the steel (or brass can't tell) 5th/reverse fork?

See if a magnet is attracted to the 5/R fork. If it is, you already have a steel one. I have the synchro hubs. Good used hub- $15. Sorry, I don't use this shims. We cut our own sizes to fit what we need here. I would just get those shims from the dealer if youhave the PNs.

See if a magnet is attracted to the 5/R fork. If it is, you already have a steel one. I have the synchro hubs. Good used hub- $15. Sorry, I don't use this shims. We cut our own sizes to fit what we need here. I would just get those shims from the dealer if youhave the PNs.

by steel/brass I meant it's the larger hub rather than the smaller hub which uses an aluminum fork... My local dealer wanted $12 a shim, 5 shims that's 60 bucks... no thanks :notgood:. Luckily I found the right ones at my trans guys shop :thumb:.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back