The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Nasty noise coming from engine/tbelt area VIDEO INCLUDED!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeah definitely I got lucky on the skippage.

I did look at the tensioner arm/area as well. It was good. Nothing out of the ordinary, no divots, it's still good & functional.

Here's another video I made before I tore into it. It's longer at 7mins showing cold start until the noise appears. Looks like when it was cold (8 degrees in video) the tensioner was maybe frozen or tight enough to keep things quiet. In the video I show how revving it kills the noise back and forth, etc. Hopefully it'll help someone out there if they have this issue.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Have you taken it apart since this video? If not, and if you have the lower timing cover off, take a video from the underside where we can see the crank pulley and the tensioner pulley area while it's running and acting up

Here's another video I made before I tore into it. It's longer at 7mins showing cold start until the noise appears. Looks like when it was cold (8 degrees in video) the tensioner was maybe frozen or tight enough to keep things quiet. In the video I show how revving it kills the noise back and forth, etc. Hopefully it'll help someone out there if they have this issue.

Thanks for posting the diagnosis. Ya the hydraulic oil in the tensioner is thickened from the sub freezing temps and once engine and oil in tensioner warms it is not able to keep proper pressure, causing the tensioner arm to tap against the tensioner piston rapidly from the slack causing the taping/clacking noise. Then once REV'ed higher centrifugal force is applied to the tensioner assembly keeping constant pressure and stopping the taping/clacking noise. At least that is my take on it without physically being there to look at it. Is there any way you could take another vid of it running after the fix?

The more I listen to the video the more I think that the sound might be pistons lightly taping valves? Since we know that the tensioner was able to be pushed in with your finger could let the timing to be off just enough for the pistons to lightly tap the valves? Have you checked for valve leakage, low compression or low vacuum?

He already fixed it guys!! No need to keep guessing .

He has fixed the noise by replacing the tensioner but doesn't no where the noise was coming from. If it was just from the tensioner arm taping the tensioner piston because of slack then I'm sure it will be fine. If the noise was pistons taping valves he is going to have other issues. And I didn't ask for your opinion....

Obviously you don't understand what I am saying or your not reading through the thread completely. He stopped the noise by replacing the tensioner, but show me where in his post that he says where exactly the noise was coming from (IE what component or components where hitting together to make the tapping noise? The tensioner by itself wasnt making that noise.) It was either as I described in a earlier post the tensioner arm assembly taping against the piston/rod of the tensioner. Or the mechanical timing being slacked out enough from the faulty tensioner to allow the piston to tap the valves. In which case I would do a leak down test. The reason this forum is here is to spread knowledge and to help people identify issues with there car by giving them plausible fixes and solutions, in this case (finding out what components where hitting together that created the noise) so that the next person that goes searching for a fix finds this thread and knows what to replace and what to check after he replaces the tensioner. Not to be asinine and turned into a pissing match. Which it seems is the recurring case in this thread and other threads that you have posted in.

"Finally got a chance to tear into it and found the culprit. Ended up being a faulty tensioner. Once everything was off I was able to depress the tensioner pulley with my hands. The tensioner gave just enough tension to push the tbelt back up when motor was off making everything appear normal. F me for taking a chance on reusing this tensioner. Luckily the belt did not skip a single tooth.

All new components have been installed and car is good now.

Thanks for all the insight and help! You guys pretty much nailed it. Hope this thread will help to serve anyone who runs into this issue! This is a first for me, but now I know faulty tensioner will cause this loud knacking noise! ha!"

Can you read? Chill out

"Finally got a chance to tear into it and found the culprit. Ended up being a faulty tensioner. Once everything was off I was able to depress the tensioner pulley with my hands. The tensioner gave just enough tension to push the tbelt back up when motor was off making everything appear normal. F me for taking a chance on reusing this tensioner. Luckily the belt did not skip a single tooth.

All new components have been installed and car is good now.

Thanks for all the insight and help! You guys pretty much nailed it. Hope this thread will help to serve anyone who runs into this issue! This is a first for me, but now I know faulty tensioner will cause this loud knacking noise! ha!"

Can you read? Chill out

Re-read my last post carrrrrefully, because either you are dense or playing dense. That doesn't tell me where the noise was coming from. Your not worth the time and a waste of it.

Re-read my last post carrrrrefully, because either you are dense or playing dense. That doesn't tell me where the noise was coming from. Your not worth the time and a waste of it.
Dsmkauai was merely saying that the noise was a result of a loose tensioner. Dsmkauai is a good dude that gives sound advice. Don't burn a bridge you might need in the future.

Omg dude!!
"This is a first for me, but now I know faulty tensioner will cause this loud knacking noise! ha!"
If you really can't figure it out don't be made at me guy LOL. Fine I'll tell you.
The tensioner arm moving up and down due to the faulty hydro tensioner caused the clanking sound.
And Thanks for the kind words Jim! ;)

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back