The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Whining noise from timing belt area !

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8killer

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 4, 2002
harlan, Kentucky
well i thought the timing belt pulleys were whining and had some slack so i changed them and i still have a whin that comes and goes the timing belt is new and there are no acc belts on at the moment just the timing belt, it sounds like it is coming from the top at the valve cover. the bottom end and head is fresh.......

Have you found a fix??? I had a new motor put in and it started wining, the shop retension the timing belt and it went away. Over 15k miles now, it started wining back up again and now it is lauder then usual. The wining is coming from the top of timing belt cover and belt area like yours. ?????:sosad:

check the upper timing cover, sometimes they move and touches the belt causing loud whining. I hate to say it but I don't run the upper timing cover anymore because mine isn't in the best shape causing the movement.

Test, and run the car without the upper cover. If it goes away then you've found the culprit.

check the upper timing cover, sometimes they move and touches the belt causing loud whining. I hate to say it but I don't run the upper timing cover anymore because mine isn't in the best shape causing the movement.

Test, and run the car without the upper cover. If it goes away then you've found the culprit.

Pull out timing cover and the wine got even louder. It looks like maybe internal bearings or pully?? Its not coming from ac and ps belts. Can it be the cam shafts??

This is a new motor with 15k miles, I'm thinking of pulling out the head and timing belt.

Could be rubbing on any of the timing covers, Or could be a idler or tensioner pulley going bad. If it were the cams there would be all kinds of alum. shavings from the head when you take the valve cover off

well mine finally quit making the whine, it locked up and i havent had time to find out what caused it. i'm thinking it has something to do with the head, everything was new, timing belt tension was within specs and the belt and pulleys were new ! i put a balance shaft eliminator kit in it so i don't know if i could have been rubbing the aluminum case so i will check that also ! some of you may be refering to the timing belt roar and that can be caused by a loose timing belt or too tight !

I had one making that noise. Pulled the oil pan off and the rear balance shaft bearing was sitting in it.

well mine finally quit making the whine, it locked up and i havent had time to find out what caused it. i'm thinking it has something to do with the head, everything was new, timing belt tension was within specs and the belt and pulleys were new ! i put a balance shaft eliminator kit in it so i don't know if i could have been rubbing the aluminum case so i will check that also ! some of you may be refering to the timing belt roar and that can be caused by a loose timing belt or too tight !

I will check out my timing belt today to see if its too tight or too loose. This is not a usual PS annoying morning sound, it has a low tone to it at idle. I cannot hear it if I drive it to 3k rpm because its not as loud as the HKS exhuast, but you can still notice that its still there.

just checked my timing belt tension, deflection between sprockets falls within .23",.22",.25". Took three measurement and it falls within spec, clueless now.

I know this is an old post but my gst is making the same noise from the timing belt area. I looked at the timing belt and it looks good no cracking or shredding. I have a new harmonic balancer/ crank pulley to install. However i dont think its coming from that as it doesnt wobble. I am really hoping its not a tensioner but i am getting close to needing the regular maintenance/rebuild (timing belt, op, wp, tensioners, bs eliminator kit, new gaskets, seals, etc.).
I definitely dont want it to skip timing and destroy motor/head since it still fires up easy and fine. Any suggestions?

I have a whining from that area... i'm 99% positive its the oil pump.

Hi,

I have this problem now. Does it help to pinpoint the thing if I say mine doesn't whine when the engine is cold, but drive it a half an hour... oh boy :hmm:

Help?

EDIT: Oh btw the whining sound is kinda high pitch.

Last edited:
some oil pumps had straight-cut gears and can be noisy. my 90 car had the same sound and it sounded like it was coming from the water pump. i never did anything about the noise and the noise would just come and go.

Me and my dad just put a engine in my 98 eclipse gst its got a new timing belt,balance shaft belt, all the accesory belts are new also i noticed that one of the belts squeel when ou 1st start the car i tightend it up and it went away i drove the car today and when it hits like a certain amount of boost it sounds like a belt it screaming? im not sure if its even a belt. it doesnt whine at idle just whines when your accelorating. i know its not the turbo its a brand new 16g could my belts be to tight?

every dsm ive had made a little whine at about 3k, little louder when you remove the balance shafts, i think its just how timing belts souund as they tension up as the motor revs. you should post a vid, that way we can see if its normal. Lifter tick seems to hide alot of noises, thats why some people dont hear it on their car

ok ill get a video tommorow ats only at a certain rpm it starts doing it

i figured out the problem!!! the j pipe wasnt tight i had a boost leak thanks guys

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back