The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

N/T pistons? Can I use them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95 gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 2, 2006
Coal City, Illinois
Lol, apparently I already did.

Story: I bought an engine from somebody that had been rebuilt. I put said engine in my Talon. Just recently, this engine jumped time and trashed the head so I took it apart. On the top of the piston it read 63d. I have put about 4000 miles on it so far, at 18psi on a big 16g and 560s. Despite chunks of valve stem embedded in the top of the piston, they look absolutely fine. I just purchased the right pistons for the block and there is a definite difference in dish size between the two. I think the n/t pistons are 9:1. Cool, huh?

When the car was running, I was seeing full boost by nearly 4000 rpms on the 16g. With compression that high, shouldnt full spool be a lot faster? Granted, the exhaust side was ported by SBR and so much metal was removed the opening of the volute is almost 8 cm.

N/T pistons have a higher compression ratio.
I wouldnt feel comfortable boosting 18psi on n/t pistons.
They will work tho.And you will see full boost a little sooner.

I have seen the NT pistons used successfullyup to 10 to 12 psi, with little or no knock and great tuning. On aplications above that it was only a matter of time before something went wrong.

The N T pistons will not take the heat primarilly because the top ring land is much closer to the top of the piston, thereby subjecting the top ring, land, and top piston edge to excessive heat. Due to there proximity, and a lack of material in the said areas to adequatly conduct heat away.

N/T pistons have a higher compression ratio.
I wouldnt feel comfortable boosting 18psi on n/t pistons.
They will work tho.And you will see full boost a little sooner.

Well, I was already running 18 psi on these pistons for about 4000 miles. I just didnt know they were in my block.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back