The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Mythbuster: Under hood heat shield or fire blanket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rice Over Wheat said:
I took my hood off, cleaned it with engine cleaner, then started looking at where to cut pieces for the heat shield. Because of the ribs, it looks like using factory plastic tabs to attach it is the way to go, however in that case you need a firm backing for the heat shield material to hold on to. I'm beginning to think just getting the $70 oem shield from the dealer is the way to go. There's just no good way I can think of to attach my roll of material without it looking like crap.

If this stuff has adhesive on the back just go down to Home Depot or a hardware store and look for a large sheet of thin high-density foam or plastic to stick it to. I'd try an experiment to see if the heat shield is strong enough to keep the backing from melting first.

I know tons of people who've never had any "cracking issues during the winter" I fully intend to leave mine on over winter with a car cover over it.

eclipsh said:
If this stuff has adhesive on the back just go down to Home Depot or a hardware store and look for a large sheet of thin high-density foam or plastic to stick it to. I'd try an experiment to see if the heat shield is strong enough to keep the backing from melting first.

That's a good idea, I'll try that and report back. Only issue there is the backing won't be contoured like an oem shield. But I'll give it a shot.

Rice Over Wheat said:
That's a good idea, I'll try that and report back. Only issue there is the backing won't be contoured like an oem shield. But I'll give it a shot.

You could try to cut the pieces and form them into a more contoured shape.

Personally, I'd just go hit a junk yard and snag a replacement for $10-20, but building stuff is fun too.

Remove the hood, flipping it over to expose the underside. Cut the blanket to your liking. Get some epoxy resin. Coat the back of the blanket. Lay a piece of plastic sheeting down that's larger than the blanket. Apply the wetted blanket to the underisde of the hood.

Wrap the entire hood with a plastic sheeting (home depot) that's 3-5 mils thick. Seal the edges. (ie you create a very large garbage bag) Pull a vacuum on it via a nipple and vacuum pump. (ie vacuum bagging) It'll take the contours of the hood.

When it dries. Remove the bag. Remove the blanket. Now use clips to retain the blanket to the hood. (ie like OEM)

Epoxying the heatshield to the hood seems like overkill. :sneaky:

Perhaps you ment he should put that first sheet of plastic between the bottom of the hood and the wetted blanket to act a release material before vacuum bagging the whole thing to form it to the hood?

Steve

steve said:
Perhaps you ment he should put that first sheet of plastic between the bottom of the hood and the wetted blanket to act a release material before vacuum bagging the whole thing to form it to the hood?

Steve

That's what I meant. I need to add a word or two to clarify.

Morphius said:
Remove the hood, flipping it over to expose the underside. Cut the blanket to your liking. Get some epoxy resin. Coat the back of the blanket. Lay a piece of plastic sheeting down that's larger than the blanket on the hood. Apply the wetted blanket to the underisde of the hood, over the plastic sheeting.

Rap the entire hood with a plastic sheeting (home depot) that's 3-5 mils thick. Seal the edges. (ie you create a very large garbage bag) Pull a vacuum on it via a nipple and vacuum pump. (ie vacuum bagging) It'll take the contours of the hood.

When it dries. Remove the bag. Remove the blanket. Now use clips to retain the blanket to the hood. (ie like OEM)

See red above.

Damn, that's pretty hardcore right there. Not quite sure if I have the motivation to go all out like that for a $70 part. Time is money as they say. That'd be the right way to do it, though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back