The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Mythbuster: Under hood heat shield or fire blanket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What if you used some kind of high temp engine paint...like the duplicolor high heat with ceramic and painted the underside of the hood? I would imagine that would keep the top side from getting ruined?
Ed

Just go to the junkyard and pull one of another car

My previous black 1G did not have it. The paint on that hood was pretty faded. Also when it rains that thing would steam constantly, and much easier then the one I have now.

And since you obviously care about your hood, go get on off another car.

I have one and with my top mount manifold, I insulated EVERY part that was turbo/exhaust related.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

AWDphantomTSI said:
What if you used some kind of high temp engine paint...like the duplicolor high heat with ceramic and painted the underside of the hood?
Ah... "high temp paint" means it won't cook off of the hot part it's painted onto. It has nothing to do with protection from high heat. :|

Hey RiceoverWheat. did you notice any cooling differences with your hood setup? I think that looks pretty badass, and im thinking about doing it myself on my 1G. If you really wanted too, you can probley cut those other 4 sections out as well. If you dont mind me asking where did you purchase everything from? The black weatherstripping piece, the mesh....im very intersted in this.

It's the greyforest "mod" and it's all over this site if you just search. I believe it was even refrenced by name on here.

I don't know off hand if 1g's have the same spots in the hood like 2g's do, but i've never seen this on a 1g.

As for where he got everything, the tech article on the mod might hold that if you looked. OR, as an incredibly novel idea, you could PM him so it doesn't get very off topic.

Here's the link anyway: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109404

To get back on topic though, i was debating ways to get this stuff to hang on the CF hoods. And all i can come up with is drilling holes for tabs, or super tape. Having it removable would be nice though.

I think all in all though, for the OP you could just get the cheap stuff and cut it around the same size as the OE stuff. Then just punch holes in it and use the stock clips. At least that way it'd be cheaper than actually buying a whole new OE shield.

^^^

I ordered the $10 3'x3' piece from CompetitionProducts because I'm a cheap bastard. That and the fact that all the other sites advertised the same thing for $40+ so I thought they had an inventory mistake I should take advantage of. :D

Should be here today or tomorrow. I'll let you guys know if I got what I paid for or not....It may be pretty ghetto for $10.

I'll post pics when I get it. I plan to use the oem plastic tabs ($1 each at dealership) to hold it up. According to my tracking info, the package is 3.4 lbs so it looks like this "cheap" stuff isn't just a sheet of foil and may actually have backing. Guess I'll find out on thurs.

Of course Mitsu engineers and all car engineers are smarter than us so that's why "all" factory cars have that insulation, it serves a purpose. I also did the hood vent mod as well as shielding my filter and intake piping with aluminuminsulation from HDepot. It works marvelous for keeping heat out. I tested it by holding my hand over a halogen bulb (if you know how hot those can get) and then after feeling the heat placing a piece of the insulation in front of my hand and felt no heat whatsoever. Check out my pics to get the idea.

All factory turbo cars maybe, but the galant and 4G eclipse didn't have it when I was at the dealership. Their engine temps aren't nearly as hot.

I'm too cheap to pay $65 for an oem replacement and you're suggesting gold? WTF

Sound insulation with reflective foil to help with heat.

Rice Over Wheat said:
Funny thing is, I just got back from the Mits dealership and the parts dept guy told me the same thing. I told him that's crap.

Anyway, the crooks want $65 for a new insulator and $1 each for those shitty plastic tabs. I told him I'll think about it. It can't be hard to fab one myself, I just have no clue what kind of material to use. Aren't there similar materials for ovens? I know I've seen that stuff before somewhere.

Boat company's use a similar material to unsulate inboard motor box covers,check with a place that sells boat products like west marine or boat house.....ya cut it to shape and use a foil tape to hide the seams,then ya use a good spray adhesive to install it.......summit racing also sells similar material to insulate hoods.

Got my new heat shield today...3' x 3' for $10. Was better stuff than I thought. The reflective foil part is actually much thicker than the oem stuff that is just glued to it's fiber board backing. This stuff is on a nylon mesh, it's about 3mm thick with adhesive backing. Seems pretty sturdy and heavy for how thin it is.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm probably going to cut patches of it out to match the ribs over the engine. Maybe one piece to start and see if the adhesive holds for a week.

any updated picks? and what did you use to attach it to the hood. I have a carbon hood and need to do something like this. The clear coat cracks in the winter.

Been busy lately so didn't get a chance to pop my hood off so I can cut the pieces to shape. I'm going to have to really scrub the underside to clean it up first. The first pieces I will try to use its own adhesive. I'll try and do it over the next few days and update.

Rice Over Wheat said:
Been busy lately so didn't get a chance to pop my hood off so I can cut the pieces to shape. I'm going to have to really scrub the underside to clean it up first. The first pieces I will try to use its own adhesive. I'll try and do it over the next few days and update.

Thanks man, I need to do this soon. I don't know which insulation to buy though.

alex1777 said:
I have a carbon hood and need to do something like this. The clear coat cracks in the winter.

Then you should remove the CF hood during the colder months. Go on Ebay and see if you can find a deal.

I took my hood off, cleaned it with engine cleaner, then started looking at where to cut pieces for the heat shield. Because of the ribs, it looks like using factory plastic tabs to attach it is the way to go, however in that case you need a firm backing for the heat shield material to hold on to. I'm beginning to think just getting the $70 oem shield from the dealer is the way to go. There's just no good way I can think of to attach my roll of material without it looking like crap.

DSMunknown said:
Then you should remove the CF hood during the colder months. Go on Ebay and see if you can find a deal.

Thank you for your great advice. This had never crossed my mind before. The thing is, if I can insulate my CF hood well, I won't have to waste the $400-500 bucks to get a hood in good shape and repaint it to match my paint. And I would also not have to do the work of switching the hoods twice every year. Thanks for your generous insight though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back