The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

My turbo is leaking oil and a little is coming out of the bov. how do i fix it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon266

Probationary Member
Nov 10, 2006
Falcon, Colorado
i have a problem and i need to fix it right away. my turbo is leaking oil... looks like from a bolt on the turbo but i dont know and there is a little bit of oil coming out of my bov. is this extremely bad for my car? and how do i fix this?

For the turbo, check for shaftplay. Remove the intake pipe and move the shaft up/down and left/right. report back with your findings. As for the BOV, no oil is going to that so it can't leak oil. Where exactly on the BOV is it coming out? Most likely your turbo is blown and the seals, and is pushing oil all through your intake tract, finally reaching your BOV where it is coming out of some.

talon266 said:
i have a problem and i need to fix it right away. my turbo is leaking oil... looks like from a bolt on the turbo but i dont know and there is a little bit of oil coming out of my bov. is this extremely bad for my car? and how do i fix this?

Your turbo leaking oil from a bolt? There is the oil return line and the oil feed line, all other bolts just hold the housing together. The only ways for oil to come out of your BOV is oil must have made its way into the cold side of the turbo, or your PCV valve. Just like the previous post stated you need to check for shaft play, or possibly the seals are going bad. To do this remove your intake pipe from the turbo and grab the blades, wiggle them up, down, side to side, in/out. This will tell you if your shaft has play and if it is allowing the oil to leak by into the intake pipe. As for the PCV valve, are you running it straight from the VC to the Intake pipe? Or are you running some sort of breather?

thanks. well, i will post some pictures up of my turbo and i will remove the intake pipe and wiggle the blades as you told me and tell you whats goin on so you can help me out a little more if you want. i just dont want my car to break down on me.

so if my seals are shot will i get any performance still or what ### when i drive im still pushin stock 12-13 lbs.

You will still get decent performance but the turbo is deffinately on its way out if this is the case. What is the status of your PCV valve? Is the line from your PCV valve going directly into your intake pipe?

check the intake tube and make sure the oil is not being sucked in and burned by the motor. if you see smoke coming out the tail pipe ( a good amount) then your going to need to rebuild or replace turbo. as for your leak there are seals or copper washer depending on style that might either be loose or need to be replaced

well i took apart my car somewhat and i found out the seal is busted on my turbo... i think. i boost a little bit but it kinda dies out and the boost doesnt last that long and i opened up my heat shield and took a look at my exaust manifold and found 2 pretty big cracks in it. this is probably why my car doesnt go as fast as it should be. does anyone know where i can get a stock turbo and exaust manifold for a decent price? thanks for helping me out on my car and what to look at.

Hey, how far are you located from Denver? I might be able to help you out. I had the same problems when I got mine. And definately check the pcv valve, because that might be one of the problems, as mentioned before. I can't really add anything else, check the shaft play.

well i live in falcon colorado, just east of colorado springs. it takes about an hour to get to denver so its not that far away. but yah ill check the pcv valve and see whats up with that.

talon210 said:
Hey I found this for you. For when you go to swap out the turbo and manifold.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216215

Yeah, that's a good one. And also on step #3a, when you take that bolt out, make sure that it's not streched out before putting it back in. I had that one snap on me, but luckily for me I got it removed withoutout stripping the threads. Just heads up.

I Am Parting Out My 2g Awd Talon I Have An 14b And 2g Exaust Manifold I Could Prob Help You Out With The Parts You Need

Sweet, well how much are you selling the 14b and the exhaust manifold for?

i havent done any research on the pricing of these parts i am thinking 20 dollars for the 2g exhaust manifold and 120 for the 14b

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back