The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Is My BOV Supposed To Do This Or Is It Leaking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyDeKilla

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 13, 2008
Fremont, California
Quick question. Iv been around the block with cars. Trucks, imports, 4x4s, muscle. Not new to DSM but new to turbos. I took off the hose that goes from my BOV to my intake and capped it. I noticed air coming out of the BOV that would go into the intake the entire time. Not just wheni let off the gas. Is it supposed to do that? Or do I need a new BOV?

+1 on the recirc pipe! It does nothing good for it ever. I know it sounds cooler but it's not worth all the idle surges, ect.

Ya I keep it on. I was just messin around with it. It came that way for a reason haha. But anyone notice this in they're car as well?

And yes. If the recirc valve is the BOV yes is it's stock. 1999.

Get a 1g BOV. It's a good mod from the 2g BOV.

My buddies stock recirc vavle leaked like crazy. I would add a 1g recirc valve or a decent after market one. My buddy bought an ebay greddy knock off and it was not a good way to go it leaked just as much and it was a pain to recirculate it because it had one of those stupid cone things.

At idle the bov should be open so it is pretty normal that air will be coming in and out of it. It will only be closed with the throttle valve is open and in boost.

Ok thanks. I'll check that tomorrow. I should upgrade to a 1G circ valve anyways though right?

Yeah, do the 1g bov upgrade. I had one on my first spyder, was great compared to the stock 2g bov on my current spyder. I had those same problems on my first one too. This was all before I knew I needed the recirculator hose. Went to a parts store and they told me I needed a new MAF sensor. That was around the time I joined this forum. Was told to add the hose, and what do you know, my idle surging went away and didn't have any other problems. Didn't need the new MAF they were gonna charge me $200 for.

Do yourself a favor and read this link. You will be surprised at how many people don't know how a BOV really works, and you could impress them or just impress yourself knowing how they work. They are pretty cool little valves.

BOV

To upgrade to the 1G BOV, you would need an adapter to go from the 2G style to the 1G style or a hard pipe with the 1G flange.

I know of some guys that upgrade to the EVO MR BOV already had the adapter and everything on it for the 2g piping. I think STM carries them. Just an option.

Ya. This is my first turbo and Iv learned a lot by just sitting under the hood, fallowing hoses and pipes and such. Thanks NHerron i wouldn't have known I needed an adapter until I pulled it apart and realized it wouldn't fit. And thanks everyone else for your help. Is there ever a DSM cruise or anything like that. When I had my Mustang we had a group that would all meet and go for a drive. 50 or so Mustangs all cruisin was pretty BA. A bunch of DSMs doin the same thing would be pretty cool too.

There is are Region threads down at the bottom of the forum page. Find your area and see if anything is going on in your area or find a local forum.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back