The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

My electro-hydraulic steering conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsm810z

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
Car: Built 1992 Eagle Talon n/t

Well after living without power steering for roughly a year now I've finally enough funding to commence my electro-hydraulic steering conversion. The pump I will be using is from a 2000-2005 Toyota MR2. This pump has a built in reservoir and a built in computer module. Another option for the steering pump is the earlier model MR2, but that pump does not have a built in reservoir or computer module (comes separately from pump).

I will update this thread as my progress continues. As of right now I have received all my an fittings and I have acquired all electrical components I will need for the conversion. For the hydraulic lines I will be using -6 an stainless braided power steering line.

The fittings at the steering rack are 16mm x 1.5 and 14 mm x 1.5

I will update with pictures once I have my steering line in and the fittings installed on the pump. I have rerouted my windshield wiper fluid reservoir to the passenger fender well and made let's say...provisions ROFL in the driver's side fender well for the ehps pump. Time permitting, I should be done with this project within the next week or so.

Interesting, do hope it works. Is there a reason to do it on a N/T?

This sounds very interesting, subscribed for sure. Pictures? :D

Wow that was a quick response LOL

I'm doing it to my n/t because it's my baby and I've built it just the way I like it. I will probably find an awd shell later on when I wanna turbo it and drop this motor in, run an evo 8 ecu, but that's waaayyy down the road.

Oh.

Anyways, be sure to make a tech article or something because I'm really interesting in improving or upgrading the POS eclipse power steering.

I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow. I'm glad I'm actually getting replies to this one. When I did my write up to swap my 2g turbo transmission it seemed no one was interested in the information, but I couldn't ask for better shifts out of a used transmission.

I hear you on that crap stock power steering setup. Kept stretching belts, leaked all over my alternator, fried the regulator, then my battery, then my starter gave out so I ripped every bit of the power steering stuff out of my car.

Maybe I should copy my write up of my transmission swap into a tech article? I Know that's off topic here, but ideas on that?

If its a uncovered topic, swapping trannys, then go for it. People may seem to not notice or care, but we have a lot of people who just lurk and benefit from the quality of the info that usually gets posted around here.

I've read that thread, I'm using a different pump than the pump from a renault clio. This pump will only pull a maximum of 40-50 amps at full lock. He was also looking for a way to control the pump with a pwm controller. The pump I'm using will wind itself down even though I'm not hooking it to my vss system. I've also installed a toggle switch on my dash so I can turn off the pump for long interstate drives since I don't need p/s during normal interstate operation.

Aforementioned "provisions" in the driver's side fender well:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Necessary engine pic:

Windshield wiper fluid reservoir relocation:

The electro-hydraulic pump (not mounted just sat it there for general idea):

00-05 MR2 pump:

Fittings, dash switch, 8 gauge wire is not shown, 50 amp fuse holder, 7.5 amp fuse holder, 50 amp relay is not shown.

I will update with more pictures as I progress through the conversion. I'm still waiting for my -6 an steering line. The top two fittings in the picture are power steering fittings for the steering rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it. Although us turbo guys are going to have to come up with something different since the SMIC is right where you put your washer bottle. I love my lack of power steering. I depowered it on purpose. Now as soon as the front end lets go on a spirited turn, I can feel it. Keeps the car right on the edge. I love your idea.

I've enjoyed the feel of having no power steering (like I said it's been over a year now since I took it out), but I recently sold my Prelude so I now drive my Talon everywhere I go. When I'm tired after a long day or if I'm driving for long periods of time I really start wishing I had the option for power steering.

Something I left out in the last post, the far left fitting is a 16 mm x 1.5 to -6 an adapter that will go into the pump itself. The 90 degree goes on that and then the -6 an line. I will be running both the high and low pressure lines where the stock a/c line would be (on top of the motor mount).

I like it. Although us turbo guys are going to have to come up with something different since the SMIC is right where you put your washer bottle. I love my lack of power steering. I depowered it on purpose. Now as soon as the front end lets go on a spirited turn, I can feel it. Keeps the car right on the edge. I love your idea.

Us turbo guys do come up with something different. A nice short route fmic!:thumb:

It was my understanding that AN lines are good to 1200psi, if not, then what are they rated for?

Sent from my Droid

You need to have a hydraulic shop make you a swagged line for the high side. It is to much pressure for the standard AN fittings. It will leak and in all likely hood blow off.

It was even discussed on this forum:

My system came out great. Just as I hoped this huge pump actually is very quiet and does not pull very much juice. Way less than my radiator fans even.

This is where I had him install it, in the drivers fender, you can see the cooler, 100 amp relay and part of the duct work which I need to finish

view from above: in this pic you can see where he welded a -6 fitting to the stock pressure line and normal rubber hose for the low pres side.

The filler is poking through the hole in the stock fender so it can be filled from above per my design.

On a side note the standard AN Fitting separated from the hose and I'll be having it redone by the hydraulic shop with pressed crimped fitting. My guess is that pressure was too high 1200+PSI for a 'standard' type AN fitting
View from the top where the fill is:

Us turbo guys do come up with something different. A nice short route fmic!:thumb:

Well said good sir:hellyeah:

He said he was using an lines made for a power steering system so pressure should be no issue at all.

I'm using steering lines good for up to 2500 psi. I'll update the thread when I receive the line and have the fittings installed.

I am interested in find out how well this works and how you wired it up. My 07 camry uses electric power steering and a/c and was thinking of doing a conversion to my car.

I am interested in find out how well this works and how you wired it up. My 07 camry uses electric power steering and a/c and was thinking of doing a conversion to my car.

Electric a/c? That sounds interesting. I could actually have a air conditioned car possibly, that would be nice... oh what dreams. :p

Doesn't an a/c compressor pull a lot of power from a motor? Its noticeable when it kicks on and off usually. I have never been concerned about this topic, if you know, post up.

Are you looking to beef up the charging system at all?

I'm not planning on upgrading the alternator immediately. The pump only draws a maximum of 40-50 amps at full steering lock. At idle, the pump will only pull a few amps and I'm typically not driving a full steering lock anyways.

Later on if any issues arise I will upgrade the alternator. I will be keeping a close eye on my battery voltage to make sure it remains constantly charged.

Update: I received the steering lines today. I'll begin installing the an fittings and mounting the pump as time permits.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back