The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

my car wont go into gear unless i let it warm up and idle for like 15 mins.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajluvsboost

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 20, 2008
orlando, Florida
can anyone give me any hints as to why i cant put my car in any gear until i let it idle for like 15 mins? after it warms up, shifts like a dream LOL i have had this problem for about a month now, and im stumped! please help.... thanks

Try a lighter weight gear oil I had the same problem I was using 80w90 an switched to 70w90 and the problem went away

Is the clutch fork moving at the clutch slave cyl? I have never had any issues with the oil viscosity and it had been below 0 deg. this week. I do put synthetic lubes in lots of different customer cars. It gets a lot colder in Montana than Florida LOL. I can feel the increased tension by the oil when it's super cold but a no go?? Do check your clutch hydraulics. Tres...

Did Yall ever correct the problem? Was the oil weight causing the problem? Because I'm having that problem in my 94 tsi. If Yall could let me know that would be great!

My car has slightly the same issue but it i can normally get it into gear just have to use slightly more force than normal. I will have to try changing transmission fluid and see what that does for me.

I've had this issue in my Evo when the fluid was about a 1/2 a quart low. I would check the level, and then change the fluid. The Redline cocktail works great in my DSM, I forget off the top of my head what the combination is.

This is kinda funny, cause my Gsx just started doing this. I don't drive it daily, but it doesn't have to do with that I'm sure. It actually just started after the temp/season change. I'm guessing the cold weather has a lot to do with it..

Since you said your transmission shifts "like a dream" once warmed up, compounded by stating that this has only been occuring within the last month (November, getting cold) I would assume that your trans oil viscosity is too high for the decreasing temperature. Change your trans oil to a lower viscosity-not too low-and you should be able to shift smoother in cold weather. Note that increased shifting difficulty is normal in colder weather, but you should definitely be able to get it in gear no matter what. Sometimes I find I need to come to a complete stop before I can get it into first without having to force it when the car is cold. I'd suggest doing some research on gear oils to find out what's best for you. Personally, I use a mixture of Redline MT90(75w90) and MTL(70w80). If you are in FL, you should be fine with just MT90. If you're trans is in fact just picky and you do end up going with a low viscosity gear oil, I'd suggest changing to a higher viscosity once summer rolls around if you plan on driving it for extended periods in hot weather.

Last edited:
What’s up guys, I am having the same issue with my 350z it won’t go into gear unless I let the car idle for about 20 mins. After the car warms up it shifts regularly, I live in New Jersey do you think the oil might be causing this problem?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back