1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

My car dies cuz of rpm idle

Posted by Red727dsm, Mar 10, 2016

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Red727dsm

Red727dsm Probationary Member

Joined Feb 6, 2015
    Los angeles, California
    My car dies on the street cuz of low idle i have changed the tps the iav i have tried adjusting the biss and still it doesnt solve the problem my car has haved this problem for awhile please help havent been able to enjoy my dsm cuz of this

mac 108 likes this.
  2. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Grab a spray bottle with water or carb spray and spray your vacuum lines and around the intake to check for vacuum leaks. With the car running spray all the hoses little by little and the intake, and throttle body. If the car starts idling faster or dies at any point you are close to a leak from where you just sprayed then check that area out. It sounds like you may have some old hoses leaking or something of the sort. Its a start so you can enjoy her again!

Street Build 4K  29

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.74 @ 117.04 · 1G DSM

1K  14

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

692  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 959  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 6K  13  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  3. nwBryce89

nwBryce89 Proven Member

Joined Sep 15, 2011
    Spanaway, Washington
    Have you a checked your ignition timing? Did you adjust you tps and biss properly? Is your idle switch adjusted and is your fiav good? And spraying starting fluid around vacuum Lines Is Better Than Water To Test For Vacuum leaks, Your Idle Will Raise If You FIND A Leak.

359  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  4. m_0ney_pit

m_0ney_pit Proven Member

Joined Jan 12, 2007
    Reading, Pennsylvania
    does it stall when you are decelerating to a stop or just have an issue idling on startup?

Street Build 2K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. Red727dsm

Joined Feb 6, 2015
    Los angeles, California
    It dies when i come to a stop honestly idk if im adjusting the biss correctly and the tps i took to my buddy he work fot mitsubishi dealer hes a mechanic he adjusted the timing several times like if it unadjusted and fiav is the same as isc right

6. Red727dsm

Joined Feb 6, 2015
    Los angeles, California
    How do i check my ignition timing

7. ob1murry

ob1murry Proven Member

Joined Jan 27, 2010
    Glen Burnie, Maryland
    You'll need to go pick up a timing light, or see if you can rent one somewhere. I know that at least the AutoZone by my house will not rent them out.

You will probably also want to make sure you have some whiteout or nail polish on hand to mark the crank pulley.

After that, just follow these directions:

http://vfaq.com/mods/wayback/BradBauer/engine/timing.html

Street Build 274  1

1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · automatic · Galant VR-4
  8. thakingcb7

thakingcb7 Proven Member

Joined Feb 8, 2015
    Lewistown, Pennsylvania
    Is your BOV recirculated or dumped to atmosphere? My car gave me every problem you could think of until I recirculated mine.

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM
  9. m_0ney_pit

m_0ney_pit Proven Member

Joined Jan 12, 2007
    Reading, Pennsylvania
    DSM in general have a hard time with decel fuel cut returning to idle properly if some of the following are changed or you have leaks with you stock intake system.

You can have problems if:
    Your emission system is modified evap purge or egr valve are removed or rerouted

Blow off valve return is not stock, the stock snorkle has a pipe that directs the bov return air to turbo intake and blends it with the flow of the incoming air. If that pipe isn't there it makes it more difficult for the air from the bov to get back into the intake system

If you have tuning ability some of the problem can be tuned out but you need to verify your intake system is leak free then determine if a rich condition or lean condition is causing the engine to stumble when trying to return from decel fuel cut.

Basically when your cruising and take your foot off the gas, the ecu cuts fuel to the injectors and looks for the rpm to reach 1200 rpm then looks at the maf scaling and fuel table to decide home much fuel to drop in because an O2 sensor reading is not available. If your intake system is different than stock the Ecu's guess will be off causing a rich or lean condition until the ecu can take O2 sensor and I beleive fuel trim data to fix the problem.

Street Build 2K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  10. BlackDSMthingy

BlackDSMthingy Proven Member

Joined Aug 16, 2014
    Leominster, Massachusetts
    I've had a bum idle switch do this exact same thing on my Talon if I had either the A/C or the defrost on (uses the A/C to dry the air). The idle switch is supposed to kick up the idle to compensate for the extra load of the compressor. May not be it, but I'm throwing it out there. Also, is this an auto or stick? If it's an auto I've seen stalling issues if there's not enough fluid or the converter is junk, but it will usually shift like a 10lb sledge to the twig and berries... Everyone else has hit on all the other common ones I've dealt with, so just start working down the list and let us know what you find. Good luck!

Street Build 1K  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  11. Red727dsm

Joined Feb 6, 2015
    Los angeles, California
    I dont think its the crank pulley timing its been doing that for awhile already and i did timing belt and water punp and seals no my bov is recirculated my plans is to run a dsmlinkv3 so i could run my bov to the atmosphere but i wanna fix this problem moneypit you just lost me there LOL

12. Red727dsm

Joined Feb 6, 2015
    Los angeles, California
    Its stick shift

13. Red727dsm

Joined Feb 6, 2015
    Los angeles, California
    Hey i just noticed you guys said vaccum leaks right but how about a boost leak would that cause the bad idling

14. gbell

gbell Proven Member

Joined Dec 24, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    A boost leak could basically be a vacuum leak at idle since the turbo isn't boosting.

15. gsxtasee

gsxtasee Proven Member

Joined Apr 14, 2003
    Panama city, Florida
    You really really REALLY, for your own sanity, not to mention buttloads of unnecessary downtime and incredibly excessive expenses on your car; need to sit down beside a warm for and cuddle up with hours upon hours of reading up on www.vfaq.com and all it's many branches of Just pure altruistic genius covering every little nugget of info on these cars Inc tons of stuff the dealers are beyond clueless about unfortunately...

But these guys already mentioned spraying for bubbles to indicate leaks, as for setting your timing, idle, and several other maintenance procedures, your going to need to ground out diagnostic jumpers on the harness connector under the hood and adjust as needed..

16. Red727dsm

Joined Feb 6, 2015
    Los angeles, California
    But the turbo is boosting i changed the biss today cuz the old was wear out and i try adjusting it.. It sounded ok but i get didnt come across to the vaccum leak test

17. Red727dsm

Joined Feb 6, 2015
    Los angeles, California
    So in vfaq ill find advice on common problems of dsms

18. nwBryce89

nwBryce89 Proven Member

Joined Sep 15, 2011
    Spanaway, Washington
    I don't know if you have resolved your issue yet, but you said in an earlier post that you were not recirculating your bov and if it is not it can cause stalling issues. Everybody in here has had good recommendations on things you can try already so start with the basics.

359  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  19. Red727dsm

Joined Feb 6, 2015
    Los angeles, California
    No it is recirculated still have the problem ive been off work late didnt get the chance to check for a leak but i drove it 2 days ago and it was running good but it started idling again..back then it would go down all the way to 0 rpm now it idles up and down