The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

my $20 paint job

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylan702110988

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
well my cars paint was in really bad shape...oxidation, hit and miss primer...it just looked horrible

so...

i decided to do the $50 paint job...i had almost everything already except sandpaper and paint so i bought 1 quart of Semi Gloss Black Rustoleum and sandpaper 400-2000grit...

i used a Wagner electric spray gun on the vertical setting...thinned the paint 50/50 with acetone

and here's the results....

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i have tried the $50 paint job with a gloss color and its just WAY too hard to get it to shine...

while in the process i tinted my headlights and tail lights, and put a $10 lip on the front bumper...

don't mind the over spray on the muffler, I'm getting a stock looking muffler later on this summer, i also do not have a pass. side fender so thats why all the pics are from the drivers side :rolleyes:

:talon:

To be honest I actually like it. I think I may go with gloss black but till then I actually might go with the semi gloss black like you did.

ROFL its not a matte silver...its straight black...semi gloss...ever seen rob and big? its the same color that there SUV is...

To be honest I actually like it. I think I may go with gloss black but till then I actually might go with the semi gloss black like you did.

the gloss black is a PITA...i couldnt get it to shine...it was always hazy looking...

but thanks :)

Did you try spraying the gloss black or just rolling it?

I'm wondering if you could roll a semi-flat/flat black and then spray the gloss black over top to make it easier? That way you don't have to worry about all the layers of gloss black...

i tried rolling the gloss...it wouldn't buff to a shine....

i was actually talking about doing that in the $50 paint job thread...I'm going to paint my eclipse turbo wing with 3 coats of semi gloss and then go over it with 2 coats of gloss...just to experiment a little

I have to say that for $50, you the mann!! But how i ask did you tint the tailights? Ive asked people and have never gotten a response..

what i did was sand the tail lights and the headlights...both are tinted...with 2000grit sand paper...cleaned it with soap and water...then dried it off...let it sit for about 30 Min's in the sun to dry even more...if its not dry u will get fish eyes...

go to a local hobby store...they should sell paint for the RC cars...the color is called WINDOW TINT...or u can use transparent black...it should come in a 3oz can

all u do is apply to it looks even...

another tip: do NOT paint in the sun...u will tint it way too dark because u will fell its not dark enough, because of the suns glare on the light

Well I haven't started on my car yet, so I'm always looking for alternate suggestions...

Also, I assume you painted the outside of the lights? Stupid question I'm sure, but I like to make sure of the details before I begin something.

yeah i just did the out side...

:) if u have questions feel free to ask..i love helping fellow DSMers out

I'm sure I will have plenty of questions throughout the summer, I have my first turbo DSM, with peeling paint of course, so I will be on here all the time (of course I am anyway, reading as much as I can... LOL).

I have to say that for $50, you the mann!! But how i ask did you tint the tailights? Ive asked people and have never gotten a response..

VHT Niteshades is how I got my lights tinted, but don't go to the vendors on here for it. Look to eBay. You can get two cans for about $15.00. By the way take it easy with this stuff be sure to keep the can a good 12in or more away from the lights and do very light coats too.

not too bad for a small ammount of money.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back