The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G misfire no check engine light

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TW 92 talon tsi

Probationary Member
Jun 27, 2010
surrey, BC_Canada
i have got a problem with my 92 tsi when my car sit for a while i go to start it it starts fine, but when i wait a bit it starts to misfire not all the time though, some time it happens when i drive down the road. The strange thing is that the engine light dosnt come on. so i tried resetting the computer and it stopped, but not for long so every time it happens i just reset the computer and it is fine. i just want to know before i go buy a new computer. has anyone had this proble and it was the computer?? the reason i think it is the computer is because it dosnt respond to the issue. is that right??? thanks

Definitely do a tuneup on it before you go throwing a computer at it. Replace the fuel filter, spark plugs, and wires and see what happens.

ya i have done a tune up i also have rebuilt the head changed cam position sensor, fuel pump, water pump, fuel pump relay, but the thing is it drives perfectly fine after resetting the ecu. it is driving me crazy ### when i took it to my mechanic it dosnt do it so he cant hook it up to see if what fault codes are showing up if any are.

also when it misfires the car shuts off when i try to let it idle or it idle eratcally and so i try starting it again and it dose the same thing so then i reset the ecu and it starts and runs fine then it dosnt do it somtimes for up to a week

thanks for all the replies

Last edited:
It would be nice to see what is going on with the computer when you are having your problems. Without solid proof of what is going on it's just a shot in the dark.:(

thanks alot for your help i will check the injectors out i am not sure when they were replaced not since i have owned the car so they probly should be changed

Not a sticky injector. It would constantly stay open or closed....not work when it wants to? misfiring this bad should throw a CEL. Alot of non check light problems could be:

Boost Leak
faulty connections to majors sensors i.e o2 sensor, temp sensor, cam sensor, (especially east coast drivers)

Its most likely electrically related since if you reset the ecu, the problem goes away for quite a while. I would say start scanning through your sensors, looking for freyed/spliced wires, etc.

EDIT: I was also thinking maybe about a bad coolant Temp sensor. During high heat, it sends signal to the ecu. The ecu in return advances or retards timing accordingly to compensate for the heat. Did you car smoke at all when it idled rough and died? did the mechanic pull the plugs when it was idling like crap to see if it was running rich or lean?? Were all four cylinders firing during this rough idle period? Alot of these questions can pinpoint solutions.....

Did you ever figure out the problem?I'm from Denver. I just bought a 1991 gsx and it starts idling rough after a while. No check engine light and dark smoke comes out when its rough idle

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back