The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Megan Racing 3" exhaust help needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsekid187

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 27, 2006
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So i ordered the megan racing 3" cat back for the talon yesterday and it got here today but i had a buddy give me a 3" down pipe but it was for his gsx and the awd doesn't fit with a fwd car unless you cut it, grind it, and re weld the flange on it. So my question is i'm going to buy the megan racing 3" down pipe fwd but if i'm not running a cat do i have to buy a test pipe and if so should it be 3" as well or would a 2.5" work just as well? Thanks in advance. I just don't want to have to wait 2 more days and have to order another thing and wait another 2 days for it to get here i need my car for work:( But to sum it all up i just need to know if i need to order a test pipe or can i just bolt the cat back right up to the down pipe and it will fit perfect and line up correctly in the back. All help appreciated :dsm:

if u have a 3" dp then get a 3" test pipe...a 2.5 probably will not bolt up properly and will significantly hurt exhaust flow

I think the longer dp's that eliminate the cat are better for performance, But If emission testing is an issue , where like here in ohio they use mirrors to check for your cat. I would suggest the shorty dp and the 3 in test pipe. this way you can bolt in a cat for emission testing with ease.

ok well does someone have a link cause i checked the vendors on tuners and couldnt find it. and i live in PA and emissions are like finals exams in college to pass but i know some people if your picking up what im putting down:shhh: But all the test pipes i look at for 2g FWD are 2.5" test pipes and the MR downpipe is a 2.5" inlet to a 3" after the flex section. So if somone can tell me should i just get that one it says MR 2g FWD 3" downpipe but then i guess i still gotta get a test pipe for it. IF someone has a link for the cat delete downpipe that is 3" for a FWD 2g i would love them:thumb: Thanks for all the help so far. Ill post pics of the long ass limo exhaust it looks like because that downpipe is so long

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The AWD down pipe that i might just hack off and re weld the flange on

The 2g megan racing downpipes are cat-deleters. They will bolt straight to your catback exhaust - no test pipe or cat needed.

yup no test pipe needed I didnt do any research and wasabout to buy a test pipe but decided to bolt the rest up and nothing needed bolted right up.

Ok next question guys this one i hope someone has an answer to since i've put about 8+ hours into this whole exhaust removal and install and ive dont it before in about 2. The megan down pipe will be here tomorrow but i decided to get a feel for what the exhaust will look like in the back so i unbolted the last pipe connected to the muffler and i know it goes over the axle. WELL not on my car the only thing i haven't tried yet is removing my rear sway bar to get a little more clearance but i have the car jacked up and i rotated that thing every way possible and the pipe will fit but the flange is whats hitting. Looks like its about to go through then it just hits the spare tire well gets in the way. It is a 2g 3" Megan Racing cat back and i have a 1995 Eagle Talon TSi FWD. Please someone tell me you had this problem or es if i remove the rear sway bar it will go through because i dont think i can take another thing not working out that i have paid my hard earned cash which not to mention after this big purchase funds are really low. Dont want to send it back and pay the 20% re stocking fee. All help greatly appreciated Thanks in advance.
- a frusterated dsm'er :mad: Let me know if any pictures are needed and ill get them up asap.

ok well that makes me feel a lot better ill go down and see how it looks going under the axle. But my last question is how am i supposed to hang the exhaust on those rubber grommets if the hangers coming off the megan exhaust are just straight the ones on the stock and other exhausts have a hook at the end to catch in those rubber grommets. So should i buy some bolts to put through my hangers so they will hook into those rubber grommets? Anyone else have this? If you look in my pictures you can see all the hangers line up to the stock ones they just arent shaped to go into those rubber grommets. Thanks for all the help guys:dsm:

so i just went down to the garage and tried to figure this out again IF it does go under the axle does someone want to post some pictures or send me a link cause ever combination i try it doesnt seem like it will work.:cry: So if someone has the 3" megan cat back on a FWD please chime in:confused:

Well thats what happens when you buy a exaust that had no development in it. Thats whats been said about Megan for along time now. All the stuff they make are copy's of all the big dogs stuff an since its copy's they cant make it exactly the same by law. So you'll have defects in them. Your exaust is a copy of Apexi N-1. The difference is on your hangers they didn't put the little hanging caps that hold the rubber hanger on it.

Also did the exaust come with that pipe bent like that right before the mufler. Thats alot of restriction there an the exaust looks like it has too many bends for a 2g. Heres a pic of my N-1 exaust pic

It only goes under the axle on AWD cars FWD cars go over the axle. And as far as the flange getting stuck, mine did the same thing so i just pulled on it for about 30min until it came out.

Hmm, thats strange, mine goes under the axle but I'm awd. As for the rubber grommets, get some pliers and squeeze out the metal inserts in there so the metal hangers on your new exhaust can fit. For me, not all of them lined up with the hangers, I think one of them was left off so it's not a big deal. Just try and shimmy the rubber pieces onto the hangers while a buddy holds the exhaust for you. It took me a good 8 hours to remove everything and bolt on the downpipe and exhaust...the stock exhaust wasn't exactly easy to get off...

yes thats true its prob different IVe never seen a full megan exhaust usually just downpipes

finally got it it was unreal what i had to do but ill have pics and videos ill put up prob tomorrow or sunday depending on when the downpipe gets here thanks for all your help.:dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back