The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Manual Tranny help...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan coll

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 12, 2009
Hyattsville, Maryland
So i want to get a manual tranny swap done by a mechicanic, i have a 96 RS and i was checking out the the forums and saw that a 2001 neon m/t could work on my car also a 95 or early 96, found a 2001 neon tranny for 250 and a 96 gs tranny 350. I also read i need a m/t ecu. Was wondering if you guys had any input on if you ever had problems with the swap? and how much would it cost to have a professional install it. im also doing this for a turbo build that will come later in the weeks after the tranny install but before i start this project wanted to hear some input from you guys which tranny is better over all and which one is better for a turbo build? :aha:

All MTX's after Feb 2000 are HD units, having a higher torque capacity rating. This is good, but shouldn't be any concernable issue as I don't believe anybody has ever overpowered a standard non-HD MTX.

Use whichever one has the gearing you prefer for the build and/or whichever is in better condition.

Ok so i want to bulid a 400whp dd im only looking to spend about 2000 to 2500 bucks to get there and i dont know much about the gearing at all i only read that the neon has longer gears since im a not as car mechanic-lly inclined as i am about jets im guessing that means ill be able to hold boost at a lower RPM im not sure if what im saying is the correct thing but correct me if im wrong..

Shorter gears vs Taller/Longer gears is a terminology referring to how long you remain in each gear. Shorter gears have a higher ratio, while taller gears have a smaller ratio. The 2gnt NV-T350 uses pretty short gearing, providing reduced speed but greater torque (due to mechanical advantage) at the expense of less time spend in each gear. (more gear changes) This is why the underpowered factory 2gnt is as peppy as it is. Shorter gears make for faster acceleration, and in most cases faster 1/4 times. There is some point in which the time wasted by the added gear change outweighs the benefit of the shorter gears. This is with higher HP cars, and longer gears would be desired.

Longer gearsets provide more max speed in each gear, but because of less mechanical advantage there is reduced torque, but you get to stay in gear longer. Longer gears in a factory 2gnt will make the car dog slow, but you may gain a few MPG at top gear cruising. Heavily modified 420a's may benefit from longer gears, as they produce enough power to quickly push through the longer gears.

With longer gears, the engine load will be greater at any given rpm. The added load will spool a turbo a bit quicker. This reduced spool-time alone is generally not worth the cost of longer gears. Waiting a could hundred RPM longer for boost while enjoying shorter gears is usually faster.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm trying working on a test at the same time; my mind is elsewhere.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back