The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 2gNT Manual tranny fluid change question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balleriffic1

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 12, 2002
Miami_FL
tranny fluid change question
hey i was looking in the shop manual on how to change the manual tranny fluid for a 420a...and where it points that the fill plug is, theres like sum rubber stopper thing on my tranny instead of the usual bolt. is it supposed to be like that? am i looking in the wrong place?

The rubber plug is the filler hole, note how it's half way up the transmission. If you look on the passenger side of the trans you will see a bolt that goes in to the transmission that doesn't resemble any of the other ones (other ones being case bolts), I believe it is like a 13 or 15mm head bolt. You take that one out and drain the fluid. Refill it after putting the drain plug back in at the rubber boot side. You may want to by some flexible rubber hose and fill it like that. Similar to like an IV bag seen in hospitals. Otherwise you will fight the supsension, axle and body trying to get the bottle of transaxle fluid in there.

Note I said Manual Transaxle Fluid. This is different from Manual transmission fluid. The transmission fluid is for cars that are rear wheel drive that only have to deal with the gears. The differential in the back of a rear wheel drive uses thicker gear lube. On our transmissions, you need to use a fluid that both lubricates and protects not only the gears for the transmission but also the load bearing gears of the differential which is integrated WITH the transmission.

The Mopar fluid is called Manual Transaxle Fluid, it is synthetic in nature and I beleive on the back it specifically says it's for use in the NTV-350 transaxles which is what the neons and eclipse n/a M/T use.
Doug

aw crap i bought the gm synchromesh lube....can i use that? i wanna kno before i have to drive half way across miami

i have heard of people using it in the 420a tranny, but some people say you shouldn't use anything but the manufacturer's fluid. some people love it and some people are afraid to use it.

o yea and about the rubber tube thing... I have this funnel with like a 1 foot plastic hose at the end and was thinking of taking out my left front tire and placing the funnel in the wheel well so itll fit do u think thatll work?

No need it will work with the wheel on, but take it off if you wish. I would not put anything in that tranny but what the book calls for. I know people that run the expensive gear oil from other companies and have no problems, I also know people who put it in and shredded their tranny. Trust me it's your tranny, get what they call for. Call a dodge, eagle, or mitsu dealer I'm sure theres one of those close to you.

ok now sumthing weird happened...taking out the fill plug, oil fell out...now i take out the drain plug and nothing comes out wut the hell??

u sure you took out the right bolt???

you should go to pepboys and get the haynes manual for your car. chiltons makes one also. i have both.

yea nvrmind rite after i posted i tried a different bolt...
::memo to everyone:: the chilton's manual is wrong when pointing at the drain plug for the manual transaxle on the 95-99 n/t.
it didnt make sense since the bolt it points to isnt near the bottom of the tranny.
now i encountered another problem...how the hell do i fill the drain hole??? from top i cant cuz the battery and window washer fluid reservoir is there and my funnel doesn't reach. im planning on using one of those syphon pumps but if anyone has any better ideas...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back