The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Manual Shift Box for Automatics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleTalonTim

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2007
Brighton, Tennessee
Hey everyone! I just show my new, homemade manual shift box for my auto. I have been driving with it for over 4 months now with no problems at all and I love it! I know there used to be someone on here that built them and no one knows what happened to him, so I decided to make my own.

Advantages :
You have control when your automatic shifts with the push of a button. (There is one button per gear. Total of 4 buttons).
Faster track times because of faster shifts.
No worries about limp mode. The box controls the shifting.
15 to 30 minute installation.
The gear selector still works as normal from Park, Reverse, and Neutral. The box takes over Drive and the lower gears.

Disadvantages :
Hard shifts. Trust me, they are not gentle at all unless you learn the shift points.
As far as I know, if the TCU is not reading the correct ohms from the Shift Control Solenoids, it will go into limp mode until you reset it. I have a switch on my box that switches back to using the TCU for normal shifting, but my TCU was stuck in limp mode before I bought the car so I drive everywhere using just the box.

If you want to see what it looks like, I posted a pic of my prototype farther down this page. I will post more info as I find new things that I can add to the box. So far I have been able to add LED gear display and a fail safe feature that prevents me from damaging my transmission by accidentally shifting out of sequence.

LOL, yeah, i guess others have created one too, but mine has 4 buttons on the box (instead of 2 switches) to control all the gears instead of manually pushing the shifter up a gear to change them. I will post a picture of my box as soon as possible and possible a video of me using it. it is very simple to drive with it, even for beginners.

Has R&D and labor lost it's value? Yeah, they are fairly simple to build, but isn't your time, and R&D worth something? If these things are going to get whored out for zero profit I might as well find some different people to help.

On a more interesting note, however, it seems from the descriptions, like everyone's shift box is significantly different in form & function so it leaves the customers to be able to choose which style of shift box they want from several different variations. This is a good thing, variety is always nice.

Bonus round:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

OMG

I want that! Form and function all rolled into one package.

d

I want that! Form and function all rolled into one package.

d

Indeed. That's my personal car. Retrofitted a Hyundai shiftronic setup. I use the power/eco switch to switch between AEM EMS transmission control, and the shiftronic mode (which is independent of the AEM EMS). I have a better pic of it more finished i'll post when I get home from work.

Ok, finally got some pics of what it looks like. hopefully i can get a video of me using it and how the shift sequence works. It is very simple and it is a small box that you can put just about anywhere out of the way.

This is just my prototype so the buttons don't match because I could only get 2 of each. I honestly prefer the 2 upper ones because they are easier to push and I have not missed a gear by not pushing it down hard enough.

Attachments

• shift-box-1.jpg
    shift-box-1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,357
  • shift-box-2.jpg
    shift-box-2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 2,655
  • shift-box-3.jpg
    shift-box-3.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,710
LOL. Yeah, it is about the smallest I could get it. I will probably be looking into making a smaller version if possible with membrane buttons that sit flush on the box. Going to have to design the schematic for that when i get the chance.

If you are in 4th and accidentally hit the 1st gear button will it shift into 1st??

It is just how I designed the circuitry for the box. I would prefer not to give that out because others would take over my design and sell it. I know that you are also selling a box of your own with just 2 switches. It is just my little secret recipe :p

Has R&D and labor lost it's value? Yeah, they are fairly simple to build, but isn't your time, and R&D worth something? If these things are going to get whored out for zero profit I might as well find some different people to help.

OMG

Only in the dsm world :(

That shifter setup is bad ass. Are you going to be making that to work with the stock tcu at all? Combine that with a better looking (sleek and un-noticable) plate for the center console, and I will buy one in a heartbeat :)

So If I shift into 1st at 60 mph your box will not go into first gear if I push the button?

Does your box have a rpm signal input?

Also, I understand that you dont want to give away how you did it. I probably came off sounding like I was going to steal the idea. Sorry about that

I may be just designing something for myself that is very similar to a TCUGo. I have been researching it for a long time now, and I finally think I have the circuitry down. My new one will probably use paddle shifters.

If you shift up to 3rd or 4th and then press the 2nd gear button, it will not shift because it is outside of the shift sequence for the box. It is not 100% fail proof, but if you attempt to shift from 4th to 2nd or 1st, it will not do it. You would have to shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, and to 4th, then to down shift, you would have to go in order again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back