The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

major power loss

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipjbm

Probationary Member
Mar 27, 2005
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
hey guys, just yesterday i finished putting some prothane motor mounts, 2g exhaust manifold, big 16g, and some 550cc injectors on my car, well when i got done i made sure everything electrical was hooked up....when i went to start my car it felt like the battery was dead, it wouldnt crank at all, so i jumped it off but when the jumper cables where on the battery and hooked up to my friends car it still felt like it was dead even after 5 mins of sitting....well somehow it eventually got power and started, it sat there for a while idling and i was gonna go for a quick spin and as soon as i hit the brake the car dies as if it lost all of its power, well we tried to jump it again and it wouldnt start again

today i got around to investigating it a little more, when the car is off with no key in the ignition it reads 11.9-12V which i figure is good considering its a 12V battery, but as soon as i put the key in and turn it one click it jumps down to 4V, you can hear my fuel pump just dying in the back b/c theres no power, but when i take the key out it jumps back up to 11.8-12V, ive gone through the steps of checking all the under the hood fuses and the in car fuses, ive checked my grounds, i even disconnected my amp and cd player...the only aftermarket electronics i have hooked up right now are my fuel pump, greddy turbo timer and the bulb for my boost gauge

i went out today and checked all of my grounds, its almost perfect voltage on everything, i took the alternator to autozone and they said it failed the test, so i got a new one just to make sure that wasnt it, i still get the same problem

im really stumped on this one, what could be draining that much power? anyone have any ideas for me to check?

thanks in advance

Your batter has a bad cell. Sounds stupid but you average batter hold 14. Volts and when you crank it goes to 10v if it goes below 8 it will not start. I work at Autozone as a manager and its a common thing when a car just sits. I would try to get a batter test done. Normaly if the Alternator goes bad its a good idea to replace the batter as well.

my moms car had the same exact problem and it does sound like a battery issue, enough juice for acc. but not enough amps to start the car, almost positive that it will be fine after you change your battery

I agree, it does sound like a battery issue. Now you have to find the cause for the dead battery, could be just a "bad" battery or a bad alternator even. I would start with a new battery and go from there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back