The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

exhaust leak causing major power loss

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanokid69

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 7, 2003
San Jose, California
I recently have noticed that I have lost alot of power in my car and developed a small exhaust leak that I can faintly hear at very low rpms, Im 90% sure that its above the turbo, So Could that be affecting the spool and causing my power loss? I also believe this because at about 3500rpm full throttle I make only 15psi until i hit around 4200 when i will creep up to my full 20psi could that be from my turbo not being spooled like it should be?

ok saying that there is not a crack on the manifold. is there a "trick" to pinpointing where an exhaust leak can be coming from if it were leaking from a gasketed area

soapy water.... that's the trick.... OR you can get one of those stethescope looking joints that the muffler shops use... it's got a long rod on the end that you put next to various areas to listen for air leaks.... which the device greatly amplifies and you can hear easilly.

Well lets say you do have an exhaust leak preturbo, chances of it causing a noticable loss in power is small...have you pulled a log to see what the car is doing...timing...knock...fuel? You might just have a simple boost leak

ya im sure its boost leak too, but I dont have a compressor to check it and my buddy is out of town for a while so im stuck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back