The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Low Idle/major loss of power

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avoorhees

Probationary Member
Nov 29, 2005
Winter Park, Florida
Hey there,

I am having a problem with a 98 GSX that i just bought...Any help would be much appreciated!

Many times when I pull up to a red light my rpms will suddenly fall to an extremely low level (my tach displays 0). Usually when I begin to accelerate, it will go back to normal but sometimes it will actually stay like that and the engine will run with a very low pitched sound. When this happens, I experience a huge loss of power (probably even more then half). I have also noticed that when this happens the engine seems to run very rich.

I noticed today that when this is happens, if I pop the hood and wiggle the spark wires near where they plug in (next to the intake manifold) the rpms will return to normal (although usually they will fall back down pretty quick). Any ideas? Do I just need to replace the plugs and wires, or does it not even have anything to do with them? Again any help would be really awesome. Thanks

Check the connections on the coil and power transistor. Usually if the tach goes wild or falls to zero, it is usually related to the power transistor. It is located next to the coil pack with a plug that resembles the mas plug.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back