1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Losing Oil pressure

Posted by b00zt3d spyd3r, Nov 21, 2016

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. b00zt3d spyd3r

b00zt3d spyd3r Proven Member

Joined Feb 25, 2016
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    When I first start my car, oil pressure is good, but after it warms up to operating temperature it loses pressure. But only at idle. When I accelerate it goes back up if I stop at a stop light it starts dropping again. Any ideas?

Street Build 3K  15

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. 2gjlc

2gjlc Proven Member

Joined Dec 12, 2008
    29 Palms, California
    That's normal. Once the oil heats up its not as viscous/thick and oil pressure should rise with RPM so that's good. Just make sure its not following below whatever your engine specs are.

Street Build 2K  10

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    12.109 @ 115.36 · 2G DSM
  3. b00zt3d spyd3r

b00zt3d spyd3r Proven Member

Joined Feb 25, 2016
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Well I'm going off the stock gauge but if I idle long with out accelerating it'll bottom out on the gauge

Street Build 3K  15

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  4. 2gjlc

2gjlc Proven Member

Joined Dec 12, 2008
    29 Palms, California
    The stock gauge isn't accurate. You need to get another gauge that reads pressure.

Street Build 2K  10

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    12.109 @ 115.36 · 2G DSM
  5. o0GuitarKid0o

o0GuitarKid0o Proven Member

Joined Dec 12, 2013
    Winnipeg ,MB, MB, Canada
    Yup stock gauge is as accurate as a gm oil pressure gauge hah

Best off just going after market (non manual gauge . Electronic is the way to go )

It's normal to see the gauge goto the first tick at idle hah
    Hell I've owned this car for three years an it's always been like that

If I Remember correctly from the first tick to the second tick is between 1000 rpm - 3000 Rpm
    And anything above 3000 should go past the second tick not that you should trust that oil pressure gauge LOL

Street Build 646  7

1991 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    fwd · automatic · 1G DSM
    b00zt3d spyd3r likes this.