The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Looking for a shop

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ximrdeathix

Probationary Member
Mar 19, 2011
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Long version:
I currently have a 420a N/T and am looking to turn it into a GST. I've researched a lot of everything that goes into it but I by all means am no mechanic. I know everyone says its just cheaper to buy a gsx or t instead of turbo the car I already have. But this was the first car I've ever bought and have owned for 3 almost 4 years now. I've done some interior changes to it and would personally just like to hang on to this car for a long time. I don't have very much mechanical knowledge so I am unable to do this myself. I'm in college so I'm under a budget per say. But I make a decent amount of money when class isn't going on so I should be able to afford this at some point. I was planning on doing an engine rebuild and turbo probably a year apart from each other. If that's not a good idea then I'll probably save and do it all at once. I'm looking for about 350-400hp and a great tune.

In short:
I'm looking for a shop in the Pittsburgh area with a great rep. I'm in Indiana so if closer is possible that would be better. I need a engine rebuild hopefully to make it like new and then a turbo conversion. Just want to know some opinions of a good place to take my car when the time comes. Any help would be great.

Hey thanks a lot man. Ill give them a shot once I get some money up.

Everybody that I've heard that wants to do this, does not go through with it. You need to figure out what it will cost, and the headaches you'll have to deal with.

I bet you could build your 420, get a turbo kit, and get a megasquirt ecu for cheaper than the parts needed to swap a 4g63 in.

I'd love to see you prove me wrong, but unless you can do the work yourself it's financially unfeasible. They will have a 50-100 hours in that, and its possible that it won't be able to pass obd2 emissions check. Quality top notch shops go for around $100/hr, newer to the game shops might be $40/hr. Does your budget allow $4000+ for building costs, with no part included? If so this just might be for you!

Hell if you will spend 4k, I will do it for you given 1 months time provided you have all the parts needed up front. :D

Actually the guy I talked to at J&S said that it would be around 20hrs of work. And roughly said probably 1800 for the labor. The parts for the engine build I could see being like 1k and then piecing together a turbo can range. 5k for the whole project doesn't seem terrible to me. Correct me if I'm wrong considering I don't know a whole lot. But I have looked over the parts list on the 420a turbo conversion forum.

To be clear, you are talking about swapping a 4g63 in, right?

$1800 seems like a awesome deal for a actual shop, for a swap to a 4g63.

But what are your goals. You can make 450 horse out of a stock 6-bolt. Perhaps a stock motor and a 16g would be right up your alley. Net 350 hp, tuned very well.

Negative bro. I was told the swap would be more expensive. He told me that to build up my 420a and turbo it. The guy knew what I was talking about but was seemed unsure if a 4g63 swap would be cheaper. Other than that the shop mentioned above seems very reliable.

Ok that's what I suggested at first but didn't want to rain on your parade. Guess the gst part threw me off.

What does that 1800 cover?
Just the labour of pulling&building the motor? What about..

Parts costs?
Ecm options?
Tuning?
Installing a turbo?
Intercooler?

And are they insured?

Sent from my Droid

Ah I see where you got that from now. Yeah I was just talking about building mine up into a gst basically. And I would imagine that would all go into the labor as that's what I asked for. I don't know any other reliable shop in the area anyway. And no it isn't the part cost, just basic labor.

Ah I see where you got that from now. Yeah I was just talking about building mine up into a gst basically. And I would imagine that would all go into the labor as that's what I asked for. I don't know any other reliable shop in the area anyway. And no it isn't the part cost, just basic labor.

it's really not worth it...

believe me man, i had a 98 spyder gst and i loved the thing to def, owned it when i was 16 till i was 19.. loved that thing so much.. built the motor myself and i sold it 3k miles into the build! haha

There's always that one better car that'l catch your eye.. buy it, don't waste money like i did.

This is the car that catches my eye. I don't need a Ferrari for the looks or power. I love dsms and I'd just like a little more power.

I run a garage in Uniontown, Pa called NSN Garage. I work on alot of 2nd gen eclipse's. I have 2 at my shop right now that I'm working on. One is my gf's spyder GS-T that I'm completely redoing inside and out. I can give you a decent price if your interested. Let me know.
Josh Callahan

There's a shop in Uniontown 15401. Guy that runs it won the DSM shootout before with that orange conquest. You need anything done to a DSM or EVO he's your man from general maintenance to full race build. Early Performance.
Message me and I'll get you hooked up with him.

I agree go to Early Performance they have worked on many DSMs both 4g63 and 420A engines and they are well versed in many different ecm tuning options

I can give you their info if you want/ need it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back