The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

locked rear brakes (emergency brake)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini zilo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
My car sat for about a month straight with the parking brake pulled up pretty high. I just got it started again today, and the rear passenger brake is locked up in on spot. It makes about 3/4 of the turn and then locks up. I tried revving up and dropping the clutch but it just makes the car drag the tire and skid. What do I do to get it to unlock and allow the wheel to turn? I don't know much about how the parking brake system works, so if someone has some tips, please help!

Joe,

You'll notice a hole in the "hat" part of the rotor. That's the access port to reach the star wheel adjuster for the parking brake. It fits between the two brake shoes on the bottom and you have to get the rotor to turn until you can see the wheel in the port. Then using a flat screwdriver or a brake spoon turn the star wheel to loosen the adjuster and free up the parking brake.

If you don't have the FSM then look a pages 5 and 18 of http://www.ecanfix.com/users/manualcd/gift/dsm/2g_rear_axle.pdf for an idea of what I'm talking about.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back