1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Link won't connect

Posted by Brian Drake, Aug 13, 2020

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Brian Drake

Brian Drake Probationary Member

Joined Nov 27, 2016
    Neenah, Wisconsin
    I followed the no connect on the ecm website. Link connected fine. Parked it for about 2 months then repaired an oil leak on the pump case gasket. After reassambly link won't connect. Continuity between the pin 12 ground is good and pins 1 and 2 don't bleed over and have good continuity to the ecu Harness. I see the heartbeat on pin 1 but I'm reading battery voltage on pin 10. Is there something that could cause this or do I need to seem the ecu back to ecm again.

Street Build 256  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. ErikTande

ErikTande Supporting Member

Joined Dec 17, 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    Does the check engine light come on for 5-seconds and boost gauge go to zero when ignition switch is moved to ON? Does the car start?

Street Build 1K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

4K  7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.2 @ 105 · 1G DSM
  3. Brian Drake

Joined Nov 27, 2016
    Neenah, Wisconsin
    Cel comes on 5 seconds and clears and boost guage does center. The car starts for about 1.5 seconds then shuts down like you turned the motor off with the key.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020

Street Build 256  1

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. Brian Drake

Joined Nov 27, 2016
    Neenah, Wisconsin
    Led on my cable blinks when my pc tries to connect. Link reports no response

Street Build 256  1

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    Boulder, Colorado
    Pin 10 on the DLC goes to pin 2 on the ECU and is the mode signal. The ECU pulls it up and we pull it to ground to tell it a logger is connected (or for set BISS mode in conjunction with the set timing connector). Your DSMLink cable should be pulling it low, if it isn't/can't you won't connect to talk to the ECU and you'll just see heartbeat or fault codes on pin 1 of the ECU and DLC.

I don't remember off hand if there is a difference between 90 and 91+ ECU's with regard to what the pull-up voltage is on the pin.

If the car runs for a few seconds the shuts off, you need to see if the CEL is on when it does it and that the fuel pump is running under command from the ECU.

303  4

2008 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro Roadster
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

276  5

2002 Audi TT Quattro Roadster 225

273  2

1992 Dodge Stealth RT/TT
    awd · manual · 3000GT/Stealth

4K  12

manual · 1G DSM
  6. Brian Drake

Joined Nov 27, 2016
    Neenah, Wisconsin
    Fuel pump is running. No cel when it shuts down. Swapped in a known good 92 turbo ecu non eeprom and my old maf. Starts idles and drives.

Street Build 256  1

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  7. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    Boulder, Colorado
    Pretty much points at the ECU or it's tune. Got any current pictures of the ECU board?

303  4

2008 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro Roadster

276  5

2002 Audi TT Quattro Roadster 225

273  2

1992 Dodge Stealth RT/TT
    awd · manual · 3000GT/Stealth

4K  12

manual · 1G DSM
  8. Brian Drake

Joined Nov 27, 2016
    Neenah, Wisconsin
    It looks great. I swapped in a know good 92 turbo ecu and threw the factory maf and injectors back in and turned down to wastegate boost and its back on the road. It's gotta the ecu and I know ecmlink is backlogged like a mother.

Street Build 256  1

awd · manual · 1G DSM