The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Lifter ticking by itself after turning engine by hand for timing (video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakk220

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2010
Akron, Ohio
So.... I just got my girlfriends engine timed up and after I turned the engine 6 times I hear this weird ticking noise. So I track it down and it is this one lifter making the noise intermittently. If I let the engine sit for a few minutes it stops. If I poke it every few seconds, it clicks. You can feel it if you have your finger on it when it ticks

I did bleed all the lifters down before installing them, so could it just be pressure building up or something? The engine was rebuilt and I primed it before installing the belt. They are the stock lifters (I know I know, I should have spent the extra money and got revised ones but did not).

Attached is a video of this noise. If anyone could tell me why its doing that, I would appreciate it. I just don't want it to end up being a bad lifter.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I figured that they would make some noise on start up, but I have never heard them do that while timing. Have your lifters have done this before while timing the engine? The rocker did not seem to be loose. It just worried me that only one lifter was doing it.

Hmm....almost like pressure build up being released intermittently. I thought I saw the lifter move every so slightly on a couple of the clicks, but the camera movement made it hard to tell.

Could be a bound/broken spring internally?

Honestly with where you're at, I'd hold off and order some revised lifters and put them in instead.

Hmm....almost like pressure build up being released intermittently. I thought I saw the lifter move every so slightly on a couple of the clicks, but the camera movement made it hard to tell.

Could be a bound/broken spring internally?

Honestly with where you're at, I'd hold off and order some revised lifters and put them in instead.

The only problem is this project is already way over budget LOL. This was a valve seal job that spiraled into a full rebuild.

I noticed last night that it only makes the noise when it's not compressed. If I stop else where when rotating the engine, it does not do it.

I thought maybe it was just pressure bleeding out because they are not pumped up, but it's weird that only the one does it.

Haha I just watched your video. The lifter fills with oil and the oil squirts out the top of the lifter to provide a cushion to the rocker and lifter.

So yeah LOL your bled lifter and dry rocker are just meshing in an area normally filled with oil. So yeah it's just the lifter clicking into the dry groove in the rocker

So yeah, I regretted bleeding my lifters, it caused them to rattle. If yours are bled correctly atleast 2 of your rockers are basically teetering on the valve spring and rocker because the cam isnt touching the rocker

Haha I just watched your video. The lifter fills with oil and the oil squirts out the top of the lifter to provide a cushion to the rocker and lifter.

So yeah LOL your bled lifter and dry rocker are just meshing in an area normally filled with oil. So yeah it's just the lifter clicking into the dry groove in the rocker

So yeah, I regretted bleeding my lifters, it caused them to rattle. If yours are bled correctly atleast 2 of your rockers are basically teetering on the valve spring and rocker because the cam isnt touching the rocker

It just concerned me that only one of them was doing it LOL. I guess maybe the other ones had enough oil on them not to click or something. I know that they will make a god awful noise at first. They usually quiet down for me though.

It just concerned me that only one of them was doing it LOL. I guess maybe the other ones had enough oil on them not to click or something. I know that they will make a god awful noise at first. They usually quiet down for me though.

That's the only answer I can think of. You would have noticed during bleeding if that lifter had failed and had a bunch of slop in it while compressing it.

So it should just be the rocker clicking on to the lifter.

There is a way to rotate the cam and remove the rocker to check the lifter without taking out the cam. But like I said you would have noticed that lifter was bleeding differently if it was bad

Well there were 3 of us sitting in a circle bleeding the lifters with safety pins. So its possible that one of them did not notice the difference but I doubt it. I'm sure it will be fine. If not I will worry about it when it makes a ton of noise and doesn't go away haha.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back