The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Lets get it clear. What are the stock block record rules.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some of the things on that list I don't really understand as they are not gonna change your power output or give you an advantage over the original block.

Crank does not really matter. Oil pan was just put on there so you cant put some crazy oil setup on it. Who cares if its like a Napa or Autozone OE replacement pan. Pistons I think matter. ONLY OEM no OE replacement.

This is getting retarded now. There's gonna be 800 recprds for stock blocks now. If your gonna call no overrbore, it better be stock headbolts,stock hg, stock cams n springs, balance shafts required too.

Please keep in mind this is for the STOCK BLOCK not whole Engine/bolt-ons.

Last edited by a moderator:
So now your saying no NPR/ITM pistons? My only bi*** is I think we should allow ARP hardware, I mean people like me who drive would not want to sacrifice a $1500 block to a oem bolt.

Also since the one car had Evo stuff and is not a stock block what is the current stock block record?

Coating the pistons and rods is a clear no go.. However if we are taking votes I vote yes to Arp hardware as this will be a driver/weekend toy . And I would like to protect the investment as much as possible! Any other yes votes to this?

Coating the pistons and rods is a clear no go.. However if we are taking votes I vote yes to Arp hardware as this will be a driver/weekend toy . And I would like to protect the investment as much as possible! Any other yes votes to this?

Agreed, even the evo's use them in stock block cars. I'm just interested in what was said before. Protecting my overall investment. It seem's wrong to use these old connecters on a 700 awhp+ setup which are over 20 years old, as i'm running a 90 6 bolt block in my 93 Talon. I understand the wrisk involved, but I feel even for safty reasons ARP hardware should be used if we choose.

i think over boring the block should be okay. and the nrp pistons should be allowed. arp hardware should also be allowed.
nrp pistons- yes
arp hardware- yes
overbore- yes
just my .02

I would agree with every thing you said except the overbore, I know its very minor but you are increasing the bore. In most race classes this is a no go. That is just my .02, however I think the NPR's why not thats really hair splitting and cost raising, Arp's should be ago.

Any one else care to vote on this yes or no?

Yes but this is not an evo block LOL.. So your a yes to we should allow ARP's? I sent Rizz and email asking if he used them and what his block was exactly. I mean if we want to be by the book that is what we should judge the rules by since we are chasing him.:thumb:

My block:

Stock orignal hardware
Stock original rods/ pistons
Stock original bearings
Stock original crank
ARP Head studs

It has never been apart other then to eliminate the balance shafts years ago. Other then that it is exactly how it came from Mitsu 20 years ago. I estimate over 600 drag runs, multiple 10 and 11 second runs and and the one 9 second pass. It is still intact, retired, sitting on an engine stand in my garage. :)

I would say that "stock block" shoudl mean..
stock block = any over bore, no strokers/destrokers (all rules in racing classes allow for "small/normal" amount of overbore (usually no more than .060 - .080" since those are standard rebuild practices and not a performance advantage.. I've raced dirtbikes and street bikes and both that did "tear downs" for class championships allowed overbores to within reasonable rebuild purposes.. Even "claimer class racing" where the winners engine can be bought by anyone for 500 bucks to prove it's not got anything special invested allow people to rebuild them old chevy small blocks which usually are always overbored at least .020 to make them fresh

OEM type pistons/rings and rods (be it mitsu, or other OEM type composition parts from napa/topline etc..)
OEM rod and crank bolts since to put aftermarket ones on you have to have special machining to them that takes away from "stock application parts interchange" now if you want to put ARP mains and rod bolts but NO machining to change the size of the rod/jounal bore, then i think that's fair since it's probably doing more harm than good LOL

as far as head..head isn't block.. ARP hrad studs 100% ok

oil pan..whatever you want but NO DRY SUMP

headgasket = also is not the block

balance shafts = leave em in, take em out, either is fine..

Crank, ok to cut journals for rebuild, but not ok to shave weight off or nkife edge

**** a note on ARP rod and main bolts.. I say if you use them and say break 600 hp, but some one else did 600 on stock bolts (both sides backed up with repetitive runs), then the guy with ARP hardware can say yea he did it with stock main internals but can't hold the "true stock block" record because of the guy who did it with the stock parts did it with 100% truely "stock block" and all stock componenets inside down to the bolts... (numbers are just for example)

I also say that brand of rod or main bearings is irrelevent, after all there's guys like tim zimmer using OEM mitsu bearings doing a lot more than a lot of guys running clevite, ACL etc.. so no clear advantage either way

Last edited by a moderator:
We are chasing Rizz so we have to play by his rules. Stock hardware Stock OEM pistons NO OE replacement. Even if everyone agreed on ARP hardware and you beat the recored you would still not had accomplished it.

This is why its called a Stock block record. Its not supposed to be easy. Your most likely going to blow a few engines up. Its all about going way beyond the limits of the stock ratings but as you can see it can be done. I understand that everyone does not have a limitless supply of money so maybe there should be another category.

Yes but this is not an evo block LOL.. So your a yes to we should allow ARP's? I sent Rizz and email asking if he used them and what his block was exactly. I mean if we want to be by the book that is what we should judge the rules by since we are chasing him.:thumb:

To be honest, this is not about what was used in his block. From what I understand about his block, it was said to be "stock". I, like him years ago have a refreshed "built" block sitting in a room covered waiting to go in my car. I have a stock block in my car, currently. I'm willing to take my head and oil pan off the car, and use the rods with the ARP rod bolts. I know this block is a ticking time bomb as it stands. Mike had no problems taking his car to 10,000 rpm with what was said to be stock rod bolts. With the size of my current s366 . I hoping to keep my redline under 9500 rpm. To save the transmission, I always used to shit by 8500. I also took the nitrous off my car, for chasing the record aswell. So staying in boost is still a large concern, but the short version is YES for ARP's.

My block:

Stock orignal hardware
Stock original rods/ pistons
Stock original bearings
Stock original crank
ARP Head studs

It has never been apart other then to eliminate the balance shafts years ago. Other then that it is exactly how it came from Mitsu 20 years ago. I estimate over 600 drag runs, multiple 10 and 11 second runs and and the one 9 second pass. It is still intact, retired, sitting on an engine stand in my garage. :)

My vote is to follow the above build. Its been the benchmark for a lot of people.
IMO this is a "Stock Block"

We are chasing Rizz so we have to play by his rules. Stock hardware Stock OEM pistons NO OE replacement. Even if everyone agreed on ARP hardware and you beat the recored you would still not had accomplished it.

This is why its called a Stock block record. Its not supposed to be easy. Your most likely going to blow a few engines up. Its all about going way beyond the limits of the stock ratings but as you can see it can be done. I understand that everyone does not have a limitless supply of money so maybe there should be another category.

Could not agree with you more, I was whining a tad for ARP's but if fair is fair we need to follow Mike's path.

My vote is to follow the above build. Its been the benchmark for a lot of people.
IMO this is a "Stock Block"

Agreed. What dont people understand? If you put arp rod bolts in then guess what its no longer a stock block. Stock blocks from the factory didnt have arp rod bolts. That shouldnt even be up for discussion. I will be running stock EVERYTHING in the short block in my record attempt. No rebuilt parts, no bore, and no arp hardware. It will truely be stock. Im already prepared to have 4+ spare blocks waiting because I already know stuff will break on the bottom end. Its not an easy record to attempt. Stop trying to change it around to make it easier. Its extremely expensive to even attempt this and im more than prepared for it. Thanks and happy hunting. I am coming.

If that's the case then the rules are simple. The bottom end has to be completely stock from deck surface to oil pan. NO EXCEPTIONS. Must have balance shafts, and they must be in operation. Agreed?

If that's the case then the rules are simple. The bottom end has to be completely stock from deck surface to oil pan. NO EXCEPTIONS. Must have balance shafts, and they must be in operation. Agreed?

Hold on sparky. Stock for Stock, balance shaft are optional sir. As set by the current record holder. AGREED?

Hold on sparky. Stock for Stock, balance shaft are optional sir. As set by the current record holder. AGREED?

That is correct optional BSE KIT. Everything else is stock. you are more then welcome to freshen up the bottom end only using stock OEM parts and clearances.

That is correct optional BSE KIT. Everything else is stock. you are more then welcome to freshen up the bottom end only using stock OEM parts and clearances.

Glad we've come to a, what I feel, logical conclusion. Now if only we could set up "record rules" for every "record" the community would be better for it!

Been there.LOL

I have killed two pistons ring land's on two different occasion's chasing this record this year. But it has its advantage;) It keeps the bore in good shape. Replace with another 1G piston rod combo out of my spare engine inventory and its up and running in less then 4 hours (replace piston with engine in car John Force style)WTF

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back