The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Leaking oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EclipseTurbo

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2004
Northwest, New_Jersey
I am leaking oil from the 4AN x 3/8" NPT fitting that connects the oil feed line at the turbo.
I have used red rtv and it steal leaks only when the engine's running. I am thinking of buying a new fitting: (Keep in mind that this is also a new fitting that came with the line.)
Slowboy Racing, Inc. :: DSM :: Turbos :: Installation Accessories :: General Accessories :: 90 Degree Brass Elbow (-4AN x 3/8" NPT)
Would JB weld hold the leak or will it deterioate after time and heat?
Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Is it leaking at the npt threads or the AN flare part? if its just leaking at the threads then just put some thread sealer on them. If its the AN flare it may have a burr or somthing.

It leaks at the NPT side, I had teflon tape installed on the first time and it leaked, later I put a little bit of RTV on the threads and around, still leaked. I am now assuming that there might be something wrong with the fitting of npt, when I start it it drips oil from there. Would teflon tape or paste be considered a thread sealer ?

It leaks at the NPT side, I had teflon tape installed on the first time and it leaked, later I put a little bit of RTV on the threads and around, still leaked. I am now assuming that there might be something wrong with the fitting of npt, when I start it it drips oil from there. Would teflon tape or paste be considered a thread sealer ?

When you installed the fitting did you just install it where the plug or old fitting was or did you run a 3/8NPT tap into it?

Also don't use RTV on fittings around oil systems. A little bit in the wrong spot can destory a engine or a turbo.

I have not used a tap, I just took the fitting off and installed the new one on.
I did try the teflon tape, plumbing compound, and RTV that I will not as per the recomnedation. I inspected the threads on both of the mating surfaces and they look great and also I did not notice any cracks in the filter housing by that bolt.
Now I am planning on getting a fitting from a different vendor SBR and see if this might help since, now I am thinking that the fitting was not made right, or should I just put some JBweld and call it a fix since that fitting's threads look good and It goes in perfectly a couple of turn and it sticks out allitle less than half way?
I have oil dripping constantly so is JB going to hold the pressure or the temp for some time?
I have some Fahrenheit expoxy for up to 500 deg F but I do not know if the compund is as good as the JBweld.

Jb weld will hold but will deteriorate over time, so I say try and get another fitting.

I am ordering one right now, Thanks for the advice and I will let you guys know if that has stoped the leak. :thumb:

I installed the fitting and it looks like that is not what is leaking but the oil sensor right above it. I checked before and it wasen't leaking from there and after new fitting the oil is coming from there-the housing is craked. So right now I will be replacing it with an 7bolt air cooled style oil filter housing. Thanks for the help.

Don't you just hate ti when you chase your tail:cry: Thats one of the bad things with pipe threads, a wee bit to tight and CRACKO:notgood:.

Glad you found the problem. I was going to say i used some Loctite Automotvie adhesive its white and resistant up to 1100* degree's i beleive id have to go ready the tube on a oil return line and never had any problems with it. I also used this to reattach my dipstick handle after breakin 3 of them by not removing them when working and snappin the handles off. Works wonders.

I have used a JB weld temporary for sitting, and I keep on adding it since it steal leak around. I am in the process of getting a new bracket so far a forward facing bracket might work, and later a relocation permacool kit along with an external cooler.
It would be nice to keep the oil cooler by 10-20 in summer degress and cleaner with that huge v8 filter, but that would be in the future. Might consider the locktite for the future, thanks.

Anyone know what the temperature increase would be like with this considering I had a stock watercooler from stock and now running on just the forward bracket,and of course on synthetic engine oil only.
What about the torque spec for the shaft that the filter screws on ? Using locktite on it also?
What about the torque on the dummylight sensor ? I with use lock tite on it and be very gentle this time if no one gives me the answer.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back