The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Lbs/min airflow value

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DetroitStroker

Proven Member
Dec 22, 2012
Detroit, Michigan
i understand "what" it is. But my questions or thoughts are; if you log 50lbs/min in 2nd gear but in 3rd or 4th flow a max of say 42lbs/min - is this an inflated reading in dsmlink while in second gear? (possibly due to 3" gm maf?)

Or did you actually flow more air in 2nd then in 3rd?

I guess this will lead to another point I have: while street tuning - is a 2nd-3rd (very close to 80mph during that shift) gear pull adequate load/gear to make your adjustments and tune off of?

Thank for the reply

While this pertains to my vehicle; it is not a question directed to it as much as it is to proper practice / use of reading lbs/min as a tuning tool when you are street tuning and making pulls in second gear.

Kind of like making dyno pulls in the 1:1 gear or closest

I would say it's inflated unless you are using boost by gear and purposely running lower boost. This being said about a completely calibrated tune where global fuel, deadtimes, ve map, wb est and actual are all in line from 4500 rpm and up. When you go to a dyno to get tuned they will use it to dial in afrs and play with timing to find mbt on your particular setup. Once that gets dialed in they use 3 or 4th depending on power level because some setups smoke the tires in 3rd from insane amounts of power to finish the wot/after mbt tune. I wouldn't use any numbers from 2nd gear if I was trying to get calculations unless it was an automatic transmission. Hope this gives you some clarity on what you are asking. I'm sure others can chime in that actually tune cars for a living.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back