The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

At what lbs/min?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
I'm curious as to at what lbs/min spark blow out can happen? I understand there is many factors but a ballpark lbs/min.

I'm running brand new 6 plugs gapped at .025....and its blowing out at full throttle

I'm running just over 50lb/min on stock ignition. NGK BR7ES I had to gap them down to .020 If I opened the gap beyond .025 she started breaking up. This is on E85 and 30+psi boost. I have seen guys logging over 60lb/min on stock ignition though, so as you said, there are a lot of factors.

Im at about .021 br7es, e85, 32-34psi. Maf comps are zeroed in the upper range so i trust my lb/min. Im showing 52lbs/min. In 2nd i can pull to 7500 with no problems, however in 3rd at around 5500 it starts a buckin. Spark blowout most likely. Turned it down to 25psi and its golden through 3rd.
There are variables. Too many. Cam timing, ign timing, afr etc. Im going down to .018 soon and try another 32psi pull in 3rd. Im running my pte 1000s on the very edge though. Thats way more than 80% IDC!

Well im just running a bastard 20g with some fp2 cams and some f.i.c injectors at 20 psi with 10.5 to 11 afr. I know for sure its spark blow out though, it was much worse with the old plugs. I originally gapped the new plugs at .028 and it helped compared to the old plugs but still bucked. I then regapped them down to .025 and again it helped but still is blowing it out.

Its really hard/impossible to believe that my set up is flowing even 50 lbs/min let alone 50 plus. The little turbo does scream compared to my old b16g

Lean it out a bit, and clean your plug wires and make sure your coil pack is well grounded to the head. New fresh plugs at about .024" gap, and you should be golden. If it still breaks up get a new set of OEM wires.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back