The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Larger wheels and tires instead of lowerings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigaah

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 7, 2004
Janesville, Wisconsin
(1G DSM) Will larger wheels AND tires work in substitute for lowering the car? I'm not that experienced with tire and suspensin mods. Can you get say 18" rims that arn't wide enough to cause a problem and put larger diameter rubber on them to make the overall diameter of the tire larger than stock with out clearance problems? I'd like to fill ou the wheel well a bit, keep more rubber after the rim for traction. I'm thinking maybe larger tires will reduce slipping at launch for a FWD too perhaps. I don't care about the speedometer being off. I think there might be a way to offset that with an EPROM edit.

I refuse to lower my car. Living in wisconsin snow is gets deep sometimes and I just don't fee like scraping on the crappy roads and blowing out my oil line up front(already done that at stock height).

Any help would be appreciated.

Sure. You might just squeeze in some 205/65/16's with about 1.5 inches more diameter but you will ultimately run into the same fitment issues as those trying to go wider. The knuckle passing closely over the tire forces you move the wheel out (less offset) to make room for more width OR more height.

depending on the wheel/tire combo, you're ride height and wheel gap will increase.

i was thinking the same thing about my old 3000GT. so i bought 18's with 245/40/18's made the wheel gap worse, the car looked like a 4x4, and the ride height went up.

so just suck it up and lower the car :thumb:

* this is what i'd do. paint the rims properly a nice diff. color and lower the car. do most of the work yourself and you'll end up only spending <500 bux for a completely new look

Hey blcknspo0ln, maybe you weren't paying attention.

Gigaah said:
I refuse to lower my car. Living in wisconsin snow is gets deep sometimes and I just don't fee like scraping on the crappy roads and blowing out my oil line up front(already done that at stock height).

If you're worried about ride height primarily for the winter months, but want to take care of the wheel gap issue (who doesnt?), you could get yourself some coilovers, or coilover sleeves such as Skunk2 or Ground Control. That way you can ride lower in nice weather, and put it back to stock height during the winter. If that's not an option, 18's and the right tire size can help out...it can also make your car look a little bit higher than stock (like someone said before).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back