The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Weight of Wheels + Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2003
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Today on my day off I decided to weight some wheels with tires I have around the house.
The wheels are the same size- 18x7.5. The Volks have a 225/35/18 shitty snow tire, the Works have a 225/40/18 Yokohama Parada Spec-2. Both wheels are used by top racing teams in Japan (Spoon Sport(Work), Top Secret (Volk))

Work Emotion Kai vs Volk Racing TE37.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Volk TE37= 35lbs

Work Emotion Kai= 42 lbs

Now, is a 5-7lb (compensating for tire size and brand difference; not a constant) per wheel difference worth nearly double the price more? Work Emotions around +/- $340 vs Volk TE37's around +/- $650

You all decide.

Think it depends on your budget, how competitive you are, and what your looking for.

According to the great internet the Volks in 18x7.5 are 17lbs. The Works weigh in at 21lbs. for an 18x8.5. The other differance is the Emotion Kai is a cast wheel where the Volk is forged.

So there is about a 4 lb difference in wheels. that leaves a 3 lb different in tires.

I know the Volks were going to be lighter going into my experiment. But the intent of the research I did was to see the weight with the tires on and see the difference. Also get people talking.

Tires have different weights too. So take all that with a grain of salt. It can't be truly comparitive unless you have the same tire on both wheels.

Rx3, you just repeated what I said. I just used numbers and first hand data to say what you said: "Tires have different weights too. So take all that with a grain of salt. It can't be truly comparitive unless you have the same tire on both wheels." ha ;)

Pretty amazing how different tires can vary in weight so much. You may spend double the price on TE37's vs. the Works and save only 3-4 lbs. But then the tire you choose may be heavier. Tires are closer in price then wheels. There may be at most a $100/tire difference. So could it be that tires may be the most cost effective way to reducing rotating mass? A lot of attention has been put on the weight of wheels recently, but not much emphasis on tires.

I remember a while ago Super Street magazine weighted some 18x7.5" Volk CE28nf (lightest forged wheel Volk makes) with some 225/40/18 Falken Azenis RT615's and they actually weighted 2lbs more then the OEM wheel and OE tire!

I'm interested in seeing some weight charts for some more tires, maybe for some R-compunds.

I know saving a couple pounds won't equal like 5 seconds around a track, but it's interesting to talk about.

I third this. I could get a whole set to my door for the price of one of his rims. They don't perform badly either, from what I have read.

LET THE TRUTH BE SPOKEN!

www.edgeracing.com

"Flik wheels that Edge Racing carries are just rebadged wheels made by other companies like Team Dynamics and Rota, among others. I bought a set of Flik wheels last year and they were Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's, and when I needed to make a warranty claim on one of the wheels, I had to go directly through Team Dynamics. Most of them seem to be good quality wheels though, although they are often limited in colors and sizes."

OMG

...Me and Baue are both rocken Flik ftd's, weighing in at 17 Ib each. (no tire)
:rocks:

I have ran 17" Flicks for 3 years with no problems.
They are about 18lbs each.
My BFG darg radials are 23lbs each.
Combined is 41lbs.
I would say the extra money would be worth it if you were hardcore racing in heavy competition. For fun on the street and occasional runs at the track like most of us, I think the differance that little bit of weight will make is frivolous.

There's more to it than just weight. Brake clearance, design structure, materials, and casting process to name a few. You think that all those SuperGT teams have nothing better to do than purchase outrageously priced rims? There's a reason for it, granted it may be well over kill for what we would use them for.

There's more to it than just weight. Brake clearance, design structure, materials, and casting process to name a few. You think that all those SuperGT teams have nothing better to do than purchase outrageously priced rims? There's a reason for it, granted it may be well over kill for what we would use them for.

Exactly.

BTW, no one has noticed my little dog. Her favorite toy was under a wheel. LOL

ROFL

asian312 said:
granted it may be well over kill for what we would use them for.

Exactly...OVERKILL and OVERPRICED. Road racing wheels see alot more stress than street wheels. But if you have the money, go for it. Just admit, its so you can put another sticker on your car.

Thats what I thew out the JUN wheels, flashypoo will not need to pay teh extra 3.50 he already has the stickers.

I am not knocking quality wheels, but you can get some nice Enkeis for $225 a piece.
I see Volks and Works a little overpriced just due to their name and home location of their manufacturer(Japan). Would I like a set, yes, but I feel there are better mods I can spend that kind of money on.

Road racing wheels see alot more stress than street wheels.
That's not necessarily true. You get very different kinds of stress in the two situations and they aren't really comparable. Road racing (on good tires) produces high levels of lateral force, but relatively few impacts. Street driving rarely gets to anything close to the same levels of lateral force, but there are pot-holes, instead.

Sorry to interrupt.

- Jtoby

Rx3, you just repeated what I said. I just used numbers and first hand data to say what you said: "Tires have different weights too. So take all that with a grain of salt. It can't be truly comparitive unless you have the same tire on both wheels." ha ;)

UGh, I have a scratched cornea, I've been doing this all week. :cry: Sorry :p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back