The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Koni Yellow Shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junfan

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2010
Okemos, Michigan
I saw in the other thread about these being discontinued. I cannot reply to that thread as I am a newbie still. I called Koni this morning and they showed 5 in the Netherlands and 3 were sold. I ask how I could get the others and they gave me the numbers for Nuespeed and Stillen. I called Stillen who promptly placed the order with Koni. It appears the last two available will be in the back of my car sometime this winter. They were $163 each with $35 in shipping. The downside is they are coming slowboat to US so expected arrival date is 12/3/10. That kinda sucks.

For reference the part number is 8040-1129sport.

Sounds like we cleaned them out of the final 5 then. I placed an order last week for 2 of those 5 for a friend of mine. Damn shame they discontinued them. I checked on some rears for an 88-92 Mirage today and was told they haven't shipped any since '08 and they've since been discontinued as well.

Luckily I got mine before this..
I'll just have to contact the original purchaser if I need them rebuilt possibly tho.. And revalved.

I was not ready to jump on this right now but damn I had my heart set on these with ground controls. So I did it anyhow.

^^^ Those are the fronts, which are still available everywhere.

The tough-to-find rears are part number 8040-1129sport.

I thought that was too easy!
Does Koni make something else for the rear that replaces the the discontinued ones?

Chances are that they do NOT make replacements, cause the whole reason for them being discontinued is lack of sales.

Wow, what a depressing turn of events.

For those that have experience with the 1G, what would be the next best in terms of quality and longevity after the Koni Yellows?

Seems like KYB AGX are going to be about the choice when not going coil overs. Coil overs you get Megan/KSports on the low end up to like KW variants or such.

Wow, what a depressing turn of events.

For those that have experience with the 1G, what would be the next best in terms of quality and longevity after the Koni Yellows?
That heavily depends on what you're doing with the car. If you'd not racing the car, and you're simply looking for a decent shock to use with a lowering spring, then the Koni probably isn't for you anyway.

Purpose built for autocross on pavement using SCCA guidelines. Two wheel drive category, Street Touring class.

I also do RallyCross on dirt/sand, but not in my DSM yet.

I was originally going to build a car I can drag race with and autox with. I am going to be DD this car for the next year or so while I put some money away for an Evo VIII. I am beginning to think I may have been better off with a different solution. They will be be here until December anyhow so plenty of time to decide.

Purpose built for autocross on pavement using SCCA guidelines. Two wheel drive category, Street Touring class.

I also do RallyCross on dirt/sand, but not in my DSM yet.
Sounds like the Koni yellow would have been the perfect shock for you then. And unfortunately, I don't know of another high-end direct replacement for it either.

Sounds like the Koni yellow would have been the perfect shock for you then. And unfortunately, I don't know of another high-end direct replacement for it either.

Depressing. I figured that would be the response though.

I don't know much about how the market works for performance parts, but like you said in your discussion with Ludachris, products come and go and a lot of the companies are eliminating the products that aren't drawing in the revenue.

Shame, but I suppose that's just the way things are in this economy.

At this point I can't go with true coilovers due to budget constraints, so I'll be keeping my eyes open for a set of used Koni Yellows or an acceptable alternative that'll deliver the next level down of performance (KYB AGX?).
It's easier for me to make compromises with my setups as racing is a hobby and I'm not super competitive. I feel sorry for those that race 1Gs in a more serious realm though.

Does Tokico make anything decent for a 1g and if so how does it compare to the KYB AGX?

I ended up getting K-Sports... Ordered them this morning. Hoepfully I will be satisified with them. I have to say it was a bit cheaper than my orginal intentions. I had intended to get yellows/rre chamber plates/ gc coilovers. I should be installing them this weekend. Hopefully a turbo will be in the mail as well. Would nice to rip up some backroads.

I ended up getting K-Sports... I should be installing them this weekend. Hopefully a turbo will be in the mail as well.

Yeah, such a shame for all you AWD folks. Hopefully they don't stop making the rears for the FWDs too.
Keep us all informed as to how the new alternative setup turns out though. GL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back