1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Keep/Remove Radiator Duct behind FMIC?

Posted by herostar, Oct 1, 2020

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. herostar

herostar Proven Member

Joined Jul 24, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm in the process of putting a new front mount intercooler on my GSX (short story... fell off a jack and crushed the core, stupid mistake). When I pulled the damaged one off I saw that I left the black plastic radiator duct in place between the intercooler and the radiator. It looks like I trimmed a little off the bottom so the intercooler fits, but otherwise it is as the factory installed it. The old intercooler was put in back in 2004, so it's been a while :)

Question: Should I leave the duct in there or should I take it out while I have the front end all taken apart?

579  8

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. Lucky13

Lucky13 Supporting Member

Joined Nov 20, 2002
    Palm Beach Gard, Florida
    If were you I'd try and save as much of it as possible. As someone that has been fighting heat issues.... I've had to fab all sorts of ducting to help drive air through the radiator after my front mount install. Florida life is not forgiving to poor cooling.

3. ErikTande

ErikTande Supporting Member

Joined Dec 17, 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    DEFINITELY leave it in there. You'll have much better cooling with it in.

Street Build 1K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

4K  7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.2 @ 105 · 1G DSM
  4. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Leave it. I ended up turning mine upside down and reattaching it with screws whlie forming the sides with a heat gun to make about a 2" scoop to grab air with. I just happened to "have" to be under my car for "issues" but this car runs cool all day long.

20200905_115546.jpg

Street Build 5K  29

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.74 @ 117.04 · 1G DSM

2K  15

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

949  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 6K  15  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
    ErikTande likes this.
  5. herostar

herostar Proven Member

Joined Jul 24, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for the quick replies, the shroud is staying in there!

579  8

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM