The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

FMIC Install, Remove Bumper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanner261

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Farmington Hills, Michigan
I'm going to install my FMIC this weekend and want to know how many people leave the front bumper off the car on a 1992-1994 1G? I know it is not required for support for the front facia. From what I understand it is a 5 mph bumper and nothing more. If I hit something with the front end of my car I will be going faster than 5 mph. Even if I hit something at a slow speed, the bumper will still get pushed back into the FMIC damaging it beyond repair.

Thoughts? Opinions? Does everyone reinstall the bumper?

I would suspect the 5 mph bumper to help. It's designed to withstand low to no damages at 5 mph or less. Above that, it should help protect the front of the car more than without the bumper. I would try to leave it on if I could.

As you can see in this pic, that bumper reinforcement was the only thing that kept my Race Core FMIC from being destroyed. My suggestion is to keep it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

yeh the bumper support is designed to help, but then again if your lazy like me and dont feel like cutting it to fit then just leave it off, but DSM91 has a very good point. I dont think the insurance company would be pretty happy if they found out you removed the bumper support to put the front mount on but then again who says they have to know hehehe

its your choice but me personally i see it as some extra weight and dont wanna cut it so i chose to keep it off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back