The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

johnny racecar's fmic, who has one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a very sharp looking FMIC. I prefer the silver finish myself, but the black would be a much sleepier look ;). Seems like a great price to me as well.

The only concern I would have about it is the fact that it is only 7.5" tall...seems like this could leave the opening in the 97+ front bumper a little empty. It would be good on a smiley 95-96 bumper though!

Damn The core looks good and the price is right. Is it too good to be true?

the core looks good. the only thing i dont like about it is its only 2.75in thick. Would be nice for a evoIII 16g or a tdo5 20g. But, what if that person plans on upgrading some day to something bigger. I personally like the core. Would be perfect for someone's daily driver who doesnt have a turbo the size of my head.

it says its painted, not anodizied, if they anodized it would the interior of it be black too?>

ITSME4G63 said:
it says its painted, not anodizied, if they anodized it would the interior of it be black too?>
There are twelve cooling rows and eleven fin rows on this intercooler.

The cooling rows on this intercooler are internally finned.

The core, end tanks, threaded inserts, and piping are all aluminum.

This intercooler has been anodized black.

The threaded mounting points are aluminum. There are three inserts in the top and three inserts in the bottom.

The mounting brackets are 11ga cold rolled steel. They will be shipped unfinished. They are painted in the pictures to show the detail, but the ones included with the intercooler are unfinished. The are very easy to work with, but very solid.

It looks good to me accept for all the honnycomb in the bars impeding flow. Let us know how your turns out though........

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I thought that on a stock turbo that an IC that long would give you some pressure drop problems?

14.5 drift said:
It looks good to me accept for all the honnycomb in the bars impeding flow. Let us know how your turns out though........

...wait for it....wait for it.......................

:laugh: :cry: :laugh:

I think I could have used a more choice word frasing, LOL, this is a tube and fin design correct? It looks to me like their are accessive amounts of fins in this particulat core or for purpose on a dsm. Soo much that it would be over compensating for cooling efficiency and interfering with flow. Glad I could be here tp make some of the more "seasoned" members laugh :p

Hey Everybody,

I know alot of people say don't put a fmic on a 14b because of the pressure drop and everything,but for the price, i reallty like that one and i shouldn't have my 14b that long,do you think it would make a good difference on a 14b'e GSX? Thanks

I think it would do some good. Any upgrade over the stock SMIC is going to do some good, even on the 14b. You should be able to turn up your boost a little more as long as you've got the proper fuel mods and octane plus the cooler, denser charge should give you some more power.

BTW, I ordered one of these so I should have a review in about 2 weeks or less. :thumb:

14.5 drift said:
I think I could have used a more choice word frasing, LOL, this is a tube and fin design correct? It looks to me like their are accessive amounts of fins in this particulat core or for purpose on a dsm. Soo much that it would be over compensating for cooling efficiency and interfering with flow. Glad I could be here tp make some of the more "seasoned" members laugh :p

I have to agree with you here. The internal design on those intercoolers are crap. It almost looks like the internal fins are bent. Compare the inside of that intercooler with the inside of a bar and plate design and tell me which you think flows better. Either way, I think it is a smarter idea to spend and extra $100-200 and do it the right way... spearco bar and plate all the way.

Ebays slogan should be, "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR".

14.5 drift said:

Well, first of all...those fins are what makes an intercooler an "inter"cooler. We all know that the intercooler works by cooling the compressed hot air charge....but how? Those internal fins are the means to exhange the heat from the compressed hot air onto the outer portion of the core itself. Then as air flows around and through the outside of the core, that heat exhange cools the internal compressed intake charge and all is good in DSM land. :laugh:

Turbocharged said:
I have to agree with you here. The internal design on those intercoolers are crap. It almost looks like the internal fins are bent. Compare the inside of that intercooler with the inside of a bar and plate design and tell me which you think flows better.

No one's saying that these JR intercoolers are the best flowing cores on the market (they're based off an OEM intercooler), but for the bang for the buck, it's a good alternative to $1k+ "kits" that are out there on the market. If everyone can afford the best things in life, we'd all be sporting Spearco FMICs, FP Reds, Shep trannys, Magnus 2.4L motors, etc etc...but not all of us want to spend more than what they paid for their car on an intercooler! :p (at least for me that is)

For the price, it's a nice addition that'll help lower intake temps and make a few horses. That is all. We all know what it takes to make huge horsepower numbers. But remember that not all of us want to run 10's or make 600awhp+. ;)

GSX_RCR said:
Well, first of all...those fins are what makes an intercooler an "inter"cooler. We all know that the intercooler works by cooling the compressed hot air charge....but how? Those internal fins are the means to exhange the heat from the compressed hot air onto the outer portion of the core itself. Then as air flows around and through the outside of the core, that heat exhange cools the internal compressed intake charge and all is good in DSM land. :laugh:

Unsure why you quoted me but I'll take a stab at this. It dseems like you are leaving out another aspect of intercooling. Flow. An intercooler should be a balance of both cooling efficiency and flow, these types of cores have accersive pressure drops for our application. It would be better searved for a stock car and turbo who never planned to upgrade.

If you choose to ignore the flow aspect of your intercooler, thats fine, and that core would be an upgrade compared to the stock side mount, but not the best bang for buck. If you were to spend the extra 100 on an extruded tube core you would be getting an infanatly better value, and combination of cooling vs flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back