The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

JDM sport intercooler mounting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgio213

Proven Member
Sep 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I picked up a free intercooler along with some other assorted parts so I'm happy with that. I'd like to use this JDM sport intercooler I picked up. It looks like a run of the mill universal intercooler. Attached is a picture of it. Im wondering does anyone have some good pics of using and mounting one of these. I have a piping kit also and would like to get this partially mocked up before the motor comes back.

Attachments

• Intercooler.JPG
    Intercooler.JPG
    509.1 KB · Views: 165
get some strips of metal like 1" wide and mount it to the sub frame with some self tappers. that's how i did mine.(i have an ets though) and for the top there are some holes by the hood release you can use a nut and bolt on and just bend some more brackets up for those. not to bad to do

Self-tappers are a bit hack, at least drill some holes and run some bolts/nuts. Also, that intercooler looks like a power robber.

Self-tappers are a bit hack, at least drill some holes and run some bolts/nuts. Also, that intercooler looks like a power robber.
i only used them on my car on the underside because no one will see them. top side definitely nuts and bolts, i used them to make a bracket to support the bottom of my intercooler since there are no tabs on the bottom of the ets for some reason so it makes the intercooler all floppy

@Canadian_CD9A curious why? Because it’s long route? Or because it’s a run off eBay FMIC? Also with long route FMIC does it matter if the actual “long” pipe goes to intake or exhaust. This cheap kit is like a bad puzzle and I’m trying to mock it up with no motor so it’s really a guessing game. This isn’t my permenant FMIC choice, like I said it was a freebie and I don’t want to use the side mount on the new build.

@Canadian_CD9A curious why? Because it’s long route? Or because it’s a run off eBay FMIC? Also with long route FMIC does it matter if the actual “long” pipe goes to intake or exhaust. This cheap kit is like a bad puzzle and I’m trying to mock it up with no motor so it’s really a guessing game. This isn’t my permenant FMIC choice, like I said it was a freebie and I don’t want to use the side mount on the new build.

Because it's an eBay/Chinese tube & fin cooler. Those typically murder power, especially when heatsoaked (which happens easily due to design).

Thanks man. lots of work done. Trying to get it back on the road currently, getting my injectors cleaned today what are your power goals?
I’m hoping to get in the 375 neighborhood for now on the 16g turbo, and just have a fun weekend car to mess around with. Motor comes back this week, can’t wait to get it back in the car. Long term, i’d Like to get in the 500 area after some time and money recuperation LOL. Rest of the build details are in the profile.

Because it's an eBay/Chinese tube & fin cooler. Those typically murder power, especially when heatsoaked (which happens easily due to design).
Yea I didn’t have super high expectations for it, but free is free and this won’t be permenant. If the tubing and setup becomes too much of a nightmare I’ll just pick up another, preferably short route. Way to deep in to sweat another 400 dollar intercooler LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back