The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Jackal tuning support/guide

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adding rows is what we're currently considering. Even putting a reference to another table when load is valued at 12 according to stock scaling.

Using the same system as is currently provided by Jackal may not be in the best interest for some users. Discussions have resumed about returning to some of the original code from the yahoo groups and implementing some of the ideas that have been developed since then. Integration with TunerProRT may be the best route at this point.

i have been on there for years and had been confused trying to find what i was looking for ? could you point me in the right direction the the code to convert to sd or maybe a bin file and xdf file to run it or any articles on the conversion! I used turner pro on my old 95 tsi but it lack the logging so i went to dsmlink.

I'll have to get back to you on that. LOL! We're trying to find a way to archive the dsm-ecu yahoo group information in a more coherent form onto a database in dsmecu.com. We're researching legal issues and such to find out if it will be allowed, so we'll have to get back to you on that. Otherwise, we may just create a reference table that links to important places, effectively becoming a catalog of information within the website that better categorizes everything.

Basically, everything is in the works and hopefully with the recent fervor things will really get moving in a positive direction for the entire community with minimal interference. *Wishful thinking*

We're trying to find a way to archive the dsm-ecu yahoo group information in a more coherent form onto a database in dsmecu.com.

You might want to consider asking on the dsm-ecu yahoo group to start.

The whole idea of that site being promoted as a "continuation" of the yahoo group is starting to stick in my craw. What Flux is doing is exactly what Hak started out trying to do to begin with and the list told him no.

I get Soft VE and Hard VE, but I don't understand the whole "Compensation View" feature. Also how do I know what VE table I'm viewing at any giving point? Normal or Compensation View

If I load Basemap 2.0, go to the VE table, and adjust the soft VE, nothing happens to the Hard VE. Which view is this Normal or Compensation View?

If I click the Compensation View button on the bottom right, the bottom turns gray, and than when I adjust soft VE, the whole row at that pressure range (ex 7.7 PSI) changes in hard VE table. Which view is this Normal or Compensation View?

I get Soft VE and Hard VE, but I don't understand the whole "Compensation View" feature. Also how do I know what VE table I'm viewing at any giving point? Normal or Compensation View

If I load Basemap 2.0, go to the VE table, and adjust the soft VE, nothing happens to the Hard VE. Which view is this Normal or Compensation View?

If I click the Compensation View button on the bottom right, the bottom turns gray, and than when I adjust soft VE, the whole row at that pressure range (ex 7.7 PSI) changes in hard VE table. Which view is this Normal or Compensation View?

Compensation view takes into account the adjustments caused by changes in the Soft VE on the Hard VE tables. So if you have the soft VE at 110% and the Hard VE value for a cell is 100, then the compensation view will show 110. The greying is the button depressed to verify that compensation view is activated.

The normal view will not show any changes to the cells when changing the soft VE, only in compensation view.

I just tried this on Basemap 2.0, and it work. But I guess I'm still loss to the purpose of compensation view. I don't understand the need for 2 VE tables.

Compensation view is for you to know the exact amount of enrichment that is applied to the cell. If you toggle between the two views and focus on one cell you will see that it is going to be richer or leaner depending on what view you are on. The higher the number the richer the fueling. Compensation view is what is actually being applied to the ECU.

I just tried this on Basemap 2.0, and it work. But I guess I'm still loss to the purpose of compensation view. I don't understand the need for 2 VE tables.

Compensation view simply shows you how the "soft ve" is effecting the "hard ve" table.

Try this:
Enable compensation view and then start changing the soft ve. You can then see how the soft ve table manipulates the hard ve's corresponding row. Don't upload the changes to your ostrich though, I'm just using this example so you can see how the soft ve table works. It's great for making large adjustments when you start tuning. Get's you in the ball park so to speak.

Compensation view simply shows you how the "soft ve" is effecting the "hard ve" table.

Try this:
Enable compensation view and then start changing the soft ve. You can then see how the soft ve table manipulates the hard ve's corresponding row. Don't upload the changes to your ostrich though, I'm just using this example so you can see how the soft ve table works. It's great for making large adjustments when you start tuning. Get's you in the ball park so to speak.

Exactly, this is what is not clicking for me. If soft VE is used to make adjustments to the corresponding row in the hard VE table, why not just had one view.

After thinking about it, I guess I kinda get the need to 2 VE Tables. I guess I'll for sure tomorrow.

Last edited:
The EVO guys don't have the big 3D hard VE table, and they complain about the lack of fine tuning.
Basically the soft VE table is for large adjustments that affect every RPM, so you can dial in a rough tune quickly and get the car running. Once it's running you can drive around while logging and use the logs to make fine adjustments in the hard VE table. Personally I leave the Compensation View off until after I make adjustments, then I'll click it on to look for any jumps or uneven spots in the table. The whole table should be reasonably smooth, no sudden spikes or dips from one cell to the next.

Having two views allows you to see the changes, local and global. Similar to the way changing the injector multiplier changes the scaling, we consider them different variables. In reality, changing the injector size also changes the VE table, but we don't want to see the total values there. There are a lot of variables that alter the way the engine controls the ECU, while the soft VE is a general multiplier for a row and it might help to see how one part is affecting another.

Consider for a moment what happens when you tune using only the hard VE, you will actually run out of adjustment room once you get to a point and then you'll have to use the multiplier (soft VE) to increase the upper range. At that point, you will want to know how much the soft ve is affecting the total row, as it will change all the values in that row.

In other words, it is just two ways to view it if you need to make adjustments but keep everything in a uniform reference value. It really helps after you've made a lot of changes and suddenly find an unusual spot that won't be noted in one of the views.

DS-Map is back up.........kinda. Wow i leave the DSM world for awhile and things fall apart.

I can help with issues too, I dont have a dsm anymore but used Jackal and loved it

hak said he was moving to a new server. musta crashed in process, but it looks good now. my username doesnt exist anymore :(

All previous account information has been removed. Account removal was not an accident. Some of the community has moved on, using TunerPro again, and with 35 polls per second it's amazing we weren't using it before.

Does this mean that the recommendation of using other open source tuning software is the preferred route?

Does this mean that the recommendation of using other open source tuning software is the preferred route?

It depends on how much work you want to put into it.
Jackal is a great way to get into tuning for very low cost and the program is already set up so all you have to worry about is tuning your car. You only need to put in a little time learning how to use the program.

It depends on how much work you want to put into it.
Jackal is a great way to get into tuning for very low cost and the program is already set up so all you have to worry about is tuning your car. You only need to put in a little time learning how to use the program.

I know as I am already running Ostrich on my 1G pushing over 500whp on E85. :thumb:

As for me, I'm switching back to TunerPro with an ostrich. A few members have created a number of definition files, base tunes, and logging definitions that allow some very fast SD modifying. It's not as pretty as Jackal was, but tuning is far more precise and easy to get into the details, not to mention live.

In other words, it is a little more work but includes all the same tuning abilities, possibly more, and has a the ability to log and edit at the same time.

As for me, I'm switching back to TunerPro with an ostrich. A few members have created a number of definition files, base tunes, and logging definitions that allow some very fast SD modifying. It's not as pretty as Jackal was, but tuning is far more precise and easy to get into the details, not to mention live.

In other words, it is a little more work but includes all the same tuning abilities, possibly more, and has a the ability to log and edit at the same time.

I would not mind taking a look at it. I am always looking for better ways to do things. Is there a thread here on Tuners?

Yeah, hows the running of SD on tunerpro going??? or map tracing? I know there have been issues running speed density on tunerpro and getting map tracing has been tricky to say the least. I also know that I have been testing werewolf, which is the major upgrade to jackal, and it is amazing. Map tracing is on your VE map and shows all cells its interpolating from in different colors which represent which cells are using more influence. Also logger speed is definately faster now and contunuing to be faster. Yes there were some flair ups with some of the previous mods and owner but thats a thing of the past and everyone has since moved on. But there have been great strides in the DS-Map programs from Jackal all the way to the still being tested werewolf. If anyone has any questions about Jackal or Werewolf, just shoot me a PM and I'll be more than happy to help out with what I can.

I used jackal back in the day around when this thread was started. It was a decent and capable solution. But it was a pain in the ass having to have 2 cables one to log and one to program. I can't remember but I believe that you couldn't do anything with timing, it was all ve and fuel. Dont get me wrong it worked and you couldn't deny that it was decent but at the end of the day it wasn't flexible enough. I was on the fence back then to jump to werewolf because it was just starting to take off. I just felt making the jump to link was better suited for myself. I give hakcenter and all the other developers major props on the design and development.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back