The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

ITM Front case and oil pump sprocket rubbing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laserspeeddemon

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 26, 2002
Fredericksburg, Virginia
So as I slowly put the engine back together I keep finding annoying things like this.

I put the sprocket on the oil pump and it's rubbing against the front case. It was so bad I couldn't turn the sprocket at all. So I removed the sprocket and the shaft (connected to the oil pump drive gear) spun fine. I put the sprocket back on and spun it as I slide further on unto the shaft. It got tougher and tougher. I pulled the sprocket back off and found where it was rubbing.

Underneath the sprocket at about 7 o' clock there is a vane the seems to support the shaft tunnel for the drive gear. It seems like it's sticking out too far and it's rubbing against the sprocket. In this picture you can kinda see it next to the yellow dot.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Has anybody else run into this? Is there supposed to be washer BEHIND the sprocket (I doubt it, but I have to ask)? Anything?

**edit**
Quick Update. While comparing the ITM front case to the OEM front case. I noticed that the vane that is rubbing on the ITM one is ground flat on the OEM one.

Last edited:
Kinda hard to see what you are, can you circle a precise area?

I do not believe there was a washer on mine.
I also was told by a source to probaly not use ITM.

That a OEM would be like $40 more and be precise. I would send it back and ask for a OEM one, if I was you. But don't get upset at that comment. I've sent so many bad parts back to places, I have no fear or a care.

Good luck.
But ITM does make some darn good pistons I will say that.

I'd say it's a manufacturing defect. Not biggie. I ground it down flat so it's fine now. I was able to torque down the sprocket to 30 ft-lbs and turn the sprocket with easy. So it's fixed.

And ITM front case with gears/gasket/OFH gasket/pick-up gasket/o-rings
$133.

OEM - with gears and only one gasket.

I'd say it's a manufacturing defect. Not biggie. I ground it down flat so it's fine now. I was able to torque down the sprocket to 30 ft-lbs and turn the sprocket with easy. So it's fixed.

And ITM front case with gears/gasket/OFH gasket/pick-up gasket/o-rings
$133.

OEM - with gears and only one gasket.

Had to do the same with mine

On that note. I found another problem with the ITM front case. There is no definitive mark to line up the gears. It's a good thing I know what I'm doing. I was able to make a good enough mark using good 'ole geometry.

Oh geeze. Hahah. Sorry, but that'd be obscenely nerve racking for me.

Has everything else besides those two outstanding features worked out with it?

Oh geeze. Hahah. Sorry, but that'd be obscenely nerve racking for me.

Actually for me it would better. No matter what the TDC should always be the same. It's always going to be close to 20 degrees (though I'm not sure this is right, I'm just using the picture as an example).

See picture below.

I don't know yet. I have yet to start the engine.

Attachments

• timing geo.jpg
    timing geo.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 98

I daily drove mine for over a year with no problems,i don't bother time the oil pump cause i removed the balance shafts,hand no problems with it at all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back