1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Issues with coolant temp

Posted by 1badpurple, Jan 29, 2011

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. 1badpurple

1badpurple Proven Member

Joined Jul 15, 2010
    lillian, Alabama
    I'm posting this in the newbie forum because I'm sure its a newbie mistake. I'm showing temps of 240 in link as well as my gauge is reading a little warm.

But I'm also not boiling the coolant and motor doesn't appear or feel like its running any hotter. So I'm suspecting the coolant temp sensor.

Just for general info, all the hoses are new. New thermostat. New waterpump. And about 3000 miles on a mitsu composite hg. Im also using arp studs. Any ideas what It might be? This issue just arrised within the last couple of days. I have no idea how old the sensor is.

2. h2rsturbo

h2rsturbo Proven Member

Joined Mar 2, 2008
    Puyallup, Washington

292  0

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. Tanro

Tanro Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2009
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sounds like the Coolant Temp Sensor. Also you may want to consider replacing the pressure cap if you haven't. I try to replace it at about every 12 months.

Street Build 2K  10

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. 1badpurple

1badpurple Proven Member

Joined Jul 15, 2010
    lillian, Alabama
    Hilariously it was the rad cap.

5. CaitSith

CaitSith Probationary Member

Joined Nov 7, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    Ha, what an easy fix!

Just curious, what rad cap were/are you using? I have an AutoZone one I'm suspecting is bad and now thinking I should get a higher quality one!

6. 303_2G

303_2G Proven Member

Joined Dec 11, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Rad cap.... Go figure LOL

Street Build 3K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  7. 1badpurple

1badpurple Proven Member

Joined Jul 15, 2010
    lillian, Alabama
    OEM is always best. I know when I tried parts store ones it took 4 to find one that worked correctly.